Chickens toe falling off?! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FeatheryFeet, Sep 28, 2014.

1. FeatheryFeet

FeatheryFeet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    Australia
    Hi, so when I went to go dip my silkies feet in oil (cos she has scaled leg mite) I noticed the tip of her toe was falling off! I don't know whats holding it on but its holding on by a thread! I wasn't going to dip her feet in the oil as it might hurt her or go inside her actual foot! I need help, I don't know what to do!

It's not letting me upload a photo but it's like hanging by a bit and it's got her toe nail on it and everything!

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    That is caused my a very severe case of staley leg mite. I know people like to treat naturally with oil but personally I think when the toes start dropping off its time for something quicker and more drastic such as ivermectin. I can't remember the correct dosage but a search for staley leg ivermectin should find it.

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If you are going to do that search, try "scaley leg mites" rather than staley leg mite. I'm assuming the poster made a typographical error.

Regards

Barbara

4. FeatheryFeet

Sep 10, 2014
    Australia
    Ok thanks I will get the ivermectin asap! Do you buy it online or pet shops or vets or something? If I'm buying it online there might have to be a weight for when they ship it, will I just have to keep doing like until it comes?

5. FeatheryFeet

Sep 10, 2014
    Australia
    I meant wait not weight

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by