Chickens (very) late to go outside

Late to the party, but here I am. :)

I had the opposite situation: I had chicks in the garage that I wanted out around four weeks (we made it to five, in the end, as I weaned them off heat lamps). No power in my coop, so I watched weather for a good transfer opportunity.

I picked a time when overnight lows were 40-50* with a 20-40* swing from highs. The chicks were mostly feathered with fluff mostly on their heads and necks.

They stayed in the coop nonstop for about three weeks. At night, they huddled up to stay warm. They still do that, but by sun-up they are standing at the door waiting to go outside when I come for chores.
Thanks for joining the party. :) Will put mine out tomorrow! Looks like it’ll be a touch warmer for a few days, before the temps drop again. (Ah, life in the mountains….)

Like 3KillerBs, I use passive ventilation. Two windows opposite the chicken door. I leave those open 24/7 — I’ll play it by ear this winter. (Windows, not the door.)

When it’s warm during the day, I also brace open my access door 5-6 inches. Sun hits that side, full strength, in the afternoon. Not a big deal now, but next summer, I will attach a tarp to that end to keep the shed wall shaded.

Back
Top Bottom