Chickens (very) late to go outside

MissGreenJeans

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
Asheville, NC
Hi, everyone. I’m embarrassed to ask my question, but I’m gonna do it anyway. Due to a series of unforeseen challenges, it took me way, WAY longer to finish building my chicken coop than I planned. I’m finally finished (woo hoo), and the “chicks” are ready to go outside. They’ve been waiting in my house, in a loft area where I constructed a pretty sizable living space for them. They’re now (cringe) 18 weeks old. Here’s my question: I’ve been trying to lower the temp inside as much as possible as it gets cooler here outside to ready them for the transition, but they’ve really never been exposed to temps lower than about 60 degrees. When they go out to their new coop, it’ll be 60-70 degrees during the day but as low as 35-45 at night. I read something about drastic drops in temp hurting or even killing them. Am worried! I don’t have electric in their coop, so I can’t add a heater. Anyone have thoughts or advice?

Thanks for the reply! I’ll post a few pictures of the coop, if you don’t mind, and ask for your 2 cents about whether or not it truly is draft free. I purchased a prefab coop to put together. After doing some reading here, I concluded that the ventilation was inadequate. Made more up high—but I’m honestly having a hard time wrapping my head around what makes for good ventilation vs. a drafty coop. :-/
Pictures will help tremendously.
I'm sure you also read that those coops never come even close to holding the number of LF chickens they claim they will.
If the coo is in a very large run with a solid roof over it, that will help.
They birds certainly do need to be outside as soon as possible and those night time temperatures will be just fine. You are already getting lows in the 30's at night in NC? I'm in NY and the lowest we've seen so far since the peaks of summer is 48.

As they must be fully feathered I think they will handle the move as long as their coop is draft free. Those temperatures should not stress them.
Thanks for the reply! I’ll post a few pictures of the coop, if you don’t mind, and ask for your 2 cents about whether or not it truly is draft free. I purchased a prefab coop to put together. After doing some reading here, I concluded that the ventilation was inadequate. Made more up high—but I’m honestly having a hard time wrapping my head around what makes for good ventilation vs. a drafty coop. :-/

Pictures will help tremendously.
I'm sure you also read that those coops never come even close to holding the number of LF chickens they claim they will.
If the coo is in a very large run with a solid roof over it, that will help.
They birds certainly do need to be outside as soon as possible and those night time temperatures will be just fine. You are already getting lows in the 30's at night in NC? I'm in NY and the lowest we've seen so far since the peaks of summer is 48.
Agree totally. Mine is supposed to hold 15, I think. I have only 7—and also a 15 ft. attached run.
I live up in the NC mountains, and it’s crazy cold up here, I assume due to the elevation. I work 30 minutes south of here, and it’s pretty consistently 10 degrees warmer! Nuts!!
Pics to come….and thanks! :)

Draft-free means no wind strong enough to ruffle feathers while the chickens are on the roost. Look at my outdoor brooder: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/run-to-outdoor-brooder-conversion.76634/

I remember those mountain winter winds from when I lived in Boone. You might want to tarp the west side of your run unless it's already sheltered by other buildings.

Another thing you can do to provide shelter is to put some intact straw bales into the run.

1632574343540.png

They should be fine as long as they can get out of the wind.

You are already getting lows in the 30's at night in NC? I'm in NY and the lowest we've seen so far since the peaks of summer is 48.

I've been getting 48-50F these last few days here in central NC.

Asheville is up in the mountains in climate zone 7a with the average first frost in mid-to-late-October, so the OP's reported temperatures are to be expected at this time of year.

I live in western SD, and we frequently have 60 degree temperature swings. They will do fine outside. You are much tougher than I am, I cannot imagine keeping birds in the house that long.
:) It’s been a bit of a heavy lift with all the cleaning, but they’re kinda tucked away in a loft area, so it hasn’t been so bad. Has also given us some good time to hang out.

Attachments

• 288865B0-96C2-4490-A3BA-229CACA481EB.jpeg
    288865B0-96C2-4490-A3BA-229CACA481EB.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom