Time to go outside for good?

BrahmasMama02

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Hello everyone !

Tomorrow my older chickens turn 7 weeks old and they are fully feathered! My younger chicks turn 6 weeks old and are just about feathered in with the exception of my runt( but is quickly catching up with one little gap in feathers )

They have been spending all day that I’m home in their coop the past few days and they are loving it! We’ve had some decent weather in 60s -70s with pretty sunshine.

I was wondering if I could go ahead and leave them in the coup tonight. Low is 44 and tomorrow the high is 76. It’s supposed to get a little cooler next week with the low at 30 degrees next Tuesday.

What do yall think?

Attachments

• IMG_7199.jpeg
    IMG_7199.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7197.jpeg
    IMG_7197.jpeg
    637.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7201.jpeg
    IMG_7201.jpeg
    792.6 KB · Views: 5
I think they'll be fine, I put my chicks that were about five weeks outside when lows were around forty and they cuddled up under each other. What breeds do you have?
Buff orphingtons , chocolate orphington , a black maran rooster, a couple Wyandottes , a few Brahmas , a couple olive eggers a few sapphire gems . A PR. There’s 18 chicks total

Now to get them to put themselves up at night .

Anyone have tips ?
I've used a battery operated puck light, turn it on an hour before roost time, then turn it off when you lock up after dark.
Might be good to disable to auto door until they are well into the habit of roosting.

I've used a battery operated puck light, turn it on an hour before roost time, then turn it off when you lock up after dark.
Might be good to disable to auto door until they are well into the habit of roosting.
It’s set on manual right now, so I have to use the remote or actually click the button to close and open it

Try manually luring them in with treats around dusk or simply picking them up and putting them in at night for a few nights. I find they'll figure it out just from that.

Update:

Left the chickies in the coup last night ! They did well! As soon as we opened the automatic door they came spilling out to run around their run.

Now to get them to put themselves up at night .

Anyone have tips ?
I leave them in their coop for 2 or 3 full days and then let them out as normal. After that they know coop is home and I’ve never had any problems doing this in my 5 years of keeping chickens.

Back
Top Bottom