I’m getting there!

Sammy Sam

Songster
Dec 8, 2023
I’m working on burying 19 gauge, same as what the run is surrounded in and then adding 16 gauge to the lower part of the coop too. I’ll add gravel before burying, for added drainage. It’s been fun making this coop and run, but I can’t wait until it’s finished. I only did about 6’ wide of wire to bury about 2’ deep and I needed a break! lol!

Also should I curve the lower part out or is it good like I did? I was also thinking of throwing all my scrap 19 gauge in the trench too.

Do hawks know what a coop looks like? I swear they do! Everyday I work outside I hear/see 1-2! I knew they’ve been around, but I guess I’ve just noticed them more, because I’m outside more.

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg
    838 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0508.jpeg
    IMG_0508.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
I’m working on burying 19 gauge, same as what the run is surrounded in and then adding 16 gauge to the lower part of the coop too. I’ll add gravel before burying, for added drainage. It’s been fun making this coop and run, but I can’t wait until it’s finished. I only did about 6’ wide of wire to bury about 2’ deep and I needed a break! lol!

Also should I curve the lower part out or is it good like I did? I was also thinking of throwing all my scrap 19 gauge in the trench too.

Do hawks know what a coop looks like? I swear they do! Everyday I work outside I hear/see 1-2! I knew they’ve been around, but I guess I’ve just noticed them more, because I’m outside more.
IF you buried the construction mat 2 feet down that double what it recommendation is. You do not need to curve it out if you want to you can but it realy wont make a difference in my expereince.You should make a outside run to give them more space you can just run string as the roof it willl mess up there line of flight can i see the inside of the coop

I have the coop closed up, but I think I posted pictures of it. I’ll try to find pictures later. Also still working on the inside, I need to block off the nest boxes, until they are of age and make a perch and a sand box under the perch. I did add more ventilation, as someone did let me know, which I was grateful to get that advice.

Thanks for the advice about another run and string. I was going to make a portable run, so I could move it to different parts of my yard. The string would make it easier to move, but I do have birds of prey around, so maybe a roof would be better for my birds. That’ll be my next job. It never ends, does it! lol.

I’m all for easier, so what is an apron?
1706113657496.png

You extend out over the ground. Critters like to dig up at the junction of the structure to the ground. They'll hit the cloth. I extended 16-18" but if you had tenacious diggers, you could extend out 2'. You pin the outer edge with HD landscape pins and you can just let the grass grow through the cloth to hide it.

I have the coop closed up, but I think I posted pictures of it. I’ll try to find pictures later. Also still working on the inside, I need to block off the nest boxes, until they are of age and make a perch and a sand box under the perch. I did add more ventilation, as someone did let me know, which I was grateful to get that advice.

Thanks for the advice about another run and string. I was going to make a portable run, so I could move it to different parts of my yard. The string would make it easier to move, but I do have birds of prey around, so maybe a roof would be better for my birds. That’ll be my next job. It never ends, does it! lol.
a chicken tractor sounds great. I will sugest the deep litter method its so much easier you can learn about it on youtube. and maybe keep a sand bath out of the coop to so they have one at all times if anything it would be better to keep one out of the coop then in the coop if you can only keep one. also make sure you have enough room on your roosting bars. lol I ment the string works for hawks staying out not chickens in but it all depends on the bird but bright fishing line or string prevents hawks for me but a roof works even better since it would be more sturdy if you want a tractor.

a chicken tractor sounds great. I will sugest the deep litter method its so much easier you can learn about it on youtube. and maybe keep a sand bath out of the coop to so they have one at all times if anything it would be better to keep one out of the coop then in the coop if you can only keep one. also make sure you have enough room on your roosting bars. lol I ment the string works for hawks staying out not chickens in but it all depends on the bird but bright fishing line or string prevents hawks for me but a roof works even better since it would be more sturdy if you want a tractor.
lol! You made me laugh! I thought the string was for the chickens! Mine are flighty and only about 9 weeks old. lol!

Back
Top Bottom