Should I keep or return hardware cloth?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I'm trying to keep mice and rats out so I thought 1/4" would be better than 1/2" but as I'm reading around the forum, I'm learning that 1/2" is actually stronger. I did not know that. I already ordered two rolls of hardware cloth and they're on their way. One is 1/4" 36" x 100' 23 gauge, and the other is 1/4" 48"x100' also 23 gauge. I was going to use these as anti-dig aprons and run fencing. I wanted to work on this project this weekend. Will these work or should I return them and get 1/2" at 19 gauge? I think that's what I currently have, they were sitting around for the last two years and a small part of it already came apart.

Last edited:
I, too, got a roll of 1/4" HWC when I first had chickens, thinking it would be more secure. I'd already opened and cut into it when I realized I wanted 1/2" so I used it in a different way. I put it over my 2x3 welded wire fence, and also stapled it over some openings.

It would have been too expensive to ship back, so, it was lesson learned.

I would likely return it, or sell it elsewhere if they want to charge to return. 1/4" would not be good to bury as a skirt, it would rot away too quickly being thinner gauge. On walls, the tighter weave will catch more dust/debris and look dirtier faster. The only place I can see keeping it for, would be as a lower wall skirt laminated over a stronger fencing (chain link, welded wire, etc) where it's not being relied on for the strength. Would also be good for overhead vents where not many predators can get to - but not 200ft of it. Best price I found was online, but I decided to just pay $10 more at a local farm supply to support local and also because I knew it wouldn't have been mangled in the shipping process

Back
Top Bottom