Chickens very messy with feed...suggestions for a feeder.

I bought a heavy metal feeder, but instead of hanging it I put it on an old metal crate. The crate raised it up just enough and the weight keeps them from knocking it over. No more wasted feed. It's about 4-5" off the ground.

Quote:
How do they reach it???

Level with the height of the HENS chest...not mine
big_smile.png

A better way to explain it, would of been...the feeder hangs about the height of the hens crop. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
My feeder sits on a cinder block and they do scoop some onto the floor of the coop but not much really.
Chickens love to scratch on the ground for food. It is their natural way of eating.
As long as they aren't wasting too much.
I found that they wasted more when they had crumbles so I switched to pellets and that worked better.

I think your coop is just ADORABLE! Is that Ondura roofing you have on? That is what I am considering using on my coop. Your set up is just so pretty! I hope you get your feed figured out.

MammaBear wrote:

Nicolette'sFarmette wrote:

I have a 30lbs feeder that I also hang (love it because I only have to fill it about every three weeks or so). It is hanging about chest high....and there is honestly no wasted feed. I would agree with adjusting the height a bit. Great coop, by the way
How do they reach it???

I realized my mistake about a minute after I posted it. I couldn't get back in to edit it.
roll.png

lol.png

I have the same feeder and my girls waste alot too. Mine is hung about chest level for them and they just peck thru it to get what they like. I was just thinking what if i used chicken wire around the feeder part of it and super glued the wire to it. Would that help?

We are new to chicks(we have only had them 2 days), but I was intrigued by this thread and the mechanism.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=533758&p=1
I watched the video so many times and was fascinated. I liked that it seems "pest proof" as I was worried about mice in the barn getting at the food. It also seemed to have very little waste. I ordered directly from the person who makes them and paid through paypal. They were very nice to deal with. They also sell on ebay.

I plan to install my mechanisms in 4 inch PVC pipe with caps at both ends. Glue the bottom cap on and drill a hole in it for the mechanism. The top cap will be removable for filling. I haven't built it yet, but that is my plan.

~Shannnon

Quote:
I agree. Or even move to a trough style feeder, feed once a day~only what they will clean up in one day's time, wrap the feeder in wire....prevents flicking of feed out of the feeder.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your help, so many suggestions I will be busy trying them all! Also thanks for the kind words regarding our setup, we had to work with our postage stamp California backyard, but it all turned out fine. As always I can count on so many people sharing their chicken wisdom, it is much appreciated!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom