Chickens VS. Dogs

Pics

fjwallace

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2018
I guess this is a statement, as well as a question. Previously I have been members of 2 or 3 web sites relating to chickens and ducks, and still a member of a web site for guineas. My issue is this. On one of these web sites a member posed the question "How do you feel about the practice of killing dogs that invade your yard and kill your birds (or something similar to that.) I replied that if a neighbor was so irresponsible as to let their dog run loose and it got into my yard and killed my birds, I would do my best to kill it. Well, this caused a real ruckus. On a web site where the admins pride themselves on tolerance and be kind to other posters, no snarky comments, no abuse, etc. I was the verbally attacked and called everything but a white woman. I ended my association with those web sites. Today I want to tell you, my new friends, about an occurrence, and ask for your opinions.

In mid-November, long about 2 pm, I went out for a round and check of my flock and walked into a scene of carnage. Two of the neighbors dogs were in my fenced in yard. I have no idea how they got in, the gates were all still locked. One of the dogs had a dead bird in his mouth, so there were no mistakes or assumptions. The dogs killed my birds. When all the feathers settled, there were 22 dead birds, and two MIA that we never found: 11 chickens ( all my pullets that were 12-16 weeks old), 2 Bantam chicks, and 8 ducks. The loss of the birds was devastating, emotionally, and financially. For instance, we were getting 6-7 ducks eggs a day, now we get one. Duck eggs sell for $4 a dozen.

We called the county sheriff, who sent Animal Control out to us, and a deputy. They took possession of the one dog we caught (I didn't have my gun so couldn't shoot anything). The upshot of it is that even tho the dogs were on my posted property inside locked gates, there is nothing that can be done to the owners of said dogs, unless I want to go to the time and expense of small claims court. In Taney County, Missouri, chickens, ducks, guineas, etc. are not considered protected livestock. The deputy sheriff and the Animal Control officer both told me, in plain English, that the best thing for me to do next time this happened is, wait for it. SHOOT THE DOGS!

What is your opinion?

Get a gun and shoot them.
Do you know who owns the dog that was captured? Do you recognize the other? Do you have to register dogs in your county?
If you can identify the owners, I would pay them a visit. Be pleasant! Tough to do considering your loss, I know, but you will catch more flies with honey. They may be horrified to find out what their dogs did or they might not care.
Very calmly and assertively explain what their dogs did then inform them that in no uncertain terms, if their dogs are ever seen on your property again, they will be shot on sight. You will not be waiting for them to attack or kill another animal. They will be shot on sight. Then DO IT.

To shoot or not to shoot is a constant, recurring theme on BYC. You will find many advocates of both, with sentiments leaning to "shoot em"!

My preference is this........

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dogs-and-electric-fences.1210854/
In principle, I agree with your approach.
However, I've twice been the victim of neighbor's dogs attacking my animals. The first time I lost my gander and my bf at the time lost a lamb. The neighbor lost his dogs to lead poisoning. Mind you, this was after 2 talks with him explaining what was going on.
The second time, my Doberman, the boy in my avatar, was attacked by my neighbors two GSDs. I also have 2 small dogs... and of course the chickens. If any of them had been in the path of the GSDs, they would have been killed, I'm sure.
Why on earth should anyone have to incur the cost of an electric fence along with the maintenance because of an inconsiderate neighbor? And we all know that once a dog kills a livestock animal, they will be back as often as they can because they think it's a hoot. The neighbor needs to control their dog or suffer the consequences.
Now, I do have my birds in poultry netting but that is because of the wild predators that surround me. It is just an added bonus if the GSDs get a nifty jolt to the schnoz.

I would politely let the neighbors know, the very first time that I saw their dogs loose, that if I find them on my property going after my birds, that they will be shot. Would I really shoot them? No. I couldn't bring myself to shoot a dog, unless it was in the heat of the moment of them attacking me, any other person, or my animals. I don't routinely carry a gun on me. If the attack was over when I came upon the scene, I couldn't walk into the house, get a gun and shoot them. I would take the time to go to small claims court if I didn't get them to agree to compensation. Edited to add: I don't judge others for doing whatever they feel comfortable doing to protect their property.

The guy next door has a female hunting dog/Pitbull cross. 3 times she came here and beat up my Maremma Finn. The last time my Border Collie/Aussie was loose when she came to beat up my Dogs. She got beat up pretty bad here by my Dog. Bylaw here in Alberta says I can shoot to kill his dog next time she comes onto my property..I don't want to and I fear daily if she gets loose when my Birds are out..:barnie

I suggest calmly, and I stress calmly, talking to the neighbor first. We have someone in our neighborhood that had a problem with dogs and he blew up about it(even though he partly caused his own problem) threatening to shoot any animal on sight. That incident sparked a Cold War of sorts and there is constant tension in the neighborhood now, very uncomfortable.
As for shooting a dog, I guess my choice would be like a BB gun, enough to hopefully put enough fear into the dog to stay away but not mortally wound it.
Also, my grandmother was a farmer and she had a dog that killed a couple of her chickens, she shot it with a 22 (she was aiming above it but apparently had bad aim, lol), she then felt bad for shooting the dog so she nursed it back to health. That dog never touched another chicken, and was great at predicting storms after that, any thunder would send it running.

Why incur the cost of an E fence? It is pro-active.......it prevents the attack in the first place. In fact, it renders the entire premise of your question moot. No shooting, no shoveling.....so no reason to be quiet. And protects against a lot more than dogs.

One more thing.......for all you would be assassins.......have you ever shot your neighbor's dog? Are you prepared to deal with the fallout of a now hostile neighbor looking for payback? You can be as much in the right as you think you are, and it won't matter to your neighbor if he is the type of jerk who lets his dogs run wild in the first place. Some jerks are like that.

Back
Top Bottom