Chickens vs Toads

Hi, so i came home and found one of my hens munching on a toad. Is this normal?? Will it hurts them? I do let them out to forage in the garden. Any help is appreciated.
is this hen a duck? my ducks and chickens will eat frogs, but toads excrete something toxic that tastes terrible [makes my dogs foam at the mouth] and they won't eat them. Some toads are actually very toxic.

Nope, its one of my Red Sex Link hens...Maybe she found it dead? Maybe she decided on a snack?
about a week ago one of my EE's had a frog and was running around with it with some of the girls right behind her, poor thing couldn't even enjoy her find she had to swallow it whole to keep the others from taking it from her. Thank goodness it was a small frog or she may have chocked. They will kill frogs small snakes and other small rodents and eat them mice too.

Not out of the norm, i generally remove any i see within their grasp i would like to think they know if they are toxic(since some are) but i keep them out of the way when possible as my hens stay for the most part in a large fenced yard.(easier to control)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom