Chickens went without water for a day or more. Problem?

manyhighfives

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 27, 2011
I live in VT and went away for Thanksgiving for a few days. A friend of mine was set to watch my three chickens while I was gone. They had full food and water before I left.

My friend wound up going to the hospital, the last time he checked on them was Wednesday (it's Sunday now, just got home).

Nervous as I was knowing the girls did not have anyone to look after them for days, I rushed into my shed to check on them.

They seemed fine, a little bit of food left, but the water was empty and the dish tipped over. I have no idea how long they went without it.

There were only 2 eggs in the nesting box (one is molting, the other two usually lay one egg a day each, so this was a surprise to me)

I am a beginner chickener so I don't know what to expect. Will my girls by ok? Is there anything I need to watch out for from a lack of water?

Again they seem alright, they are happy to be out of their coop. Many thanks to any feedback!

I would think if they are fine now, they will be ok. But I'm just a newbie.
and
welcome-byc.gif

A bit of pedialite would help things along and they will drink alot. Within 24 hours, they should be OK. The longest my girls had no water was 25 hours and they did ok.

If you want to make sure they had something, you can cut up a watermelon before you leave on the trip. It will give them something moist until you get back.

Watermelon is a good idea, ours get it all summer. Just curious & to have for reference.....How much pedialyte to a gallon of water or straight. Would gator aide have the same effect?

Thanks everyone. Just got a hold of my friend and he got back from the hospital yesterday and checked on them, so they only went without water for a day, thank goodness.

The pedialite and watermelon ideas are great, thanks for the advice!

just for future reference, coconut water is about one of the best rehydraters out there. It's so pure it can be used as an iv in place of lactated ringers. I use fresh from green nuts, but I'm sure you can find bottled.

ETA: I give it to my horses and dogs during the dry season to keep them *up*.

Last edited:
No need for worry.

Been my experience that if they weren't actually dead or dying when you got home, fill up the water dish and they will be fine.

Before you leave the next time make sure your chickens have redundant water systems that will last several days. Easy and cheap, couple 1 gallon water founts, would in the fall last 3 chickens a week.

I travel sometimes for a few days at a time. 1st I hire a real life bonded and insured pet sitter, 2nd my chickens are supplied with 1 week of feed by two separate feeders, 3rd they have a nearly infinite supply of water (for 10 chickens), a 250 gallon gravity feed system and 2 - 5 gallons each pvc water founts. If any two of the systems fail, the third will last 10 chickens for days.

June 2011 we went on a 7 day cruise, the pet sitter did not have to refill feeders or water founts. All she did was check the operation and gather eggs.

Back
Top Bottom