Chickens who HATE snow?

My Bantams do not like the snow, and refuse to even come out of their house until it all melts. My Sussex don't mind it much. They scamper around the ranch for awhile, then come to the backporch and sleep a spell, along with my Muscovy ducks.

~ Aspen

My girls are pretty spoiled here in California. We are about 10 minutes from the beach so the worse they get is rain! However, they are fair weathered Californian Hens, they won't even come out if it's sprinkling! Hours of entertainment though!!
lau.gif

I live in NJ and my chickens also hate the snow. They won't walk on it at all, but they are willing to eat it!

Is anyone else having problems with their chickens growing really long toe nails?

Since mine are spending most of the day in the coop and aren't out scratching in the run, they have some serious talons going. I'm not looking forward to having to trim them...

27 of 27 refuse to leave the coop. We have had snow on the ground for over a week now!!! If I call them "chick chick chick" They will peak their heads out and maybe step just outside the door! Silly birds!

Their first year they trudged around in it. Got a little stuck here and there. Wings flapping...going no where. This year they are a little wiser or more fuddy duddy and stay under the covered run. I'll open the door on an above 32 degree day just to see if they'll venture out a little bit. They'll walk on the sno-pack then. So it tells me that they're not liking the cold on their feet too much. They'll tolerate it if it's above freezing. The roo watches from the coop and if he sees me on the deck he'll sometimes take a chance and drag everybody up across my packed down path to see if there is treats. LoL. But it needs to be worth his while and above 32 on that snow.

All 5 of my hens do not like the snow. They have been so cooped up this year..LITERALLY! One is and Ameraucana and she doesn't lay in the winter either. Come on SPRING!!

My 5 BOs also hate snow. It's been cold and snowy here in this part of NY and they will not come out of the run to play. I have a small coup with a tiny run, so DH put a fence around it and covered the top and sides (except for the E side) with tarp. There is a gate, which I leave open, and a shoveled path for them, but they refuse to go out. They stopped laying mid January and are the grumpiest bunch I've ever seen. I can't wait for spring!

My chickens hate it too and I have been wondering if it was just this flock. Now I know! They have been cooped up here for over a week. They are laying nicely in their heated coop though.

Back
Top Bottom