Chickens will not go in coop! Help!

bluefx4

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
I have 2 RIR and 1 Americauna. I have raised them since they were 2 weeks. I had them in my garage until last week or until they were 6 weeks old. The weather has turned nicer but we still have some cold nights. My chickens do not want to go into there coop I built. They want to stay in the run and sleep on a cinder block at night.... out in the cold wind! The other night we had some bad storms come through and I put them in there coop and blocked the door. I put food and water in there just like there brooder in my garage. I did the same thing last night as well. At first I thought it was the ramp... perhaps it was too steep, but the birds walk right up it fine and sit at the top of it right next to the door all the time.

Is putting them in the coop every night the right thing to do? Should I just let the learn that it is a safe place?

Even this morning when I let them out they ran out of the house so fast.... I could tell the wanted out bad.

I had to put new introduced birds in by hand in the beginning. They were leary of the others. After a few days they went in on there own. But I would suggest a nite light. They do not like going into something they can noot see. I leave one all 24/7. As long as there is no critters,i.e. snakes, rats etc. in there, I think it is just the change from the garage, and they will adapt. But try the light. It worked good for me.........

when mine were new to outside - I just physically picked them up and put them in the coop for a few nights, and they finally figured it out. They didn't realzie that the coop was their new house.

Yes. The light has helped me as well. I had my chicks in the garage, same way for 2 months. And then straight into the outdoors. The coop was very open and dark. The exact opposite as their home for 2 months. So it has taken a feww weeks, but they are finally getting it. It also helps to put the leader of the pack in first and the others will tend to follow.... But man! It can be frustrating....

I had the same problem with mine last year when everything was new. The chickens never wanted to be in it even though I moved them from the brooder into the coup and kept them in there for a long time before letting them out. Anyway, they spent the next month living outside and roosting on the fence instead of going into the coup at night. Then one night an owl attacked and killed two chickens. I thought "great this owl is just going to keep coming back to pick off these stupid chickens that won't go into their coop!" Amazingly, the very next night EVERY chicken went into the coop as soon as it started to get dark. They truly showed me that chickens aren't as stupid as I thought! I was shocked that they actually realized it would be safer to go in there after they had gotten so used to sleeping on the fence at night.

Well I guess I will just keep putting them inside at night. I dont have power out at my coop so I dont know about a light. They do have 8 windows in the top of the coop that lets a lot of light in during the day so I dont think that is an issue. It crazy to me that they would rather be cold than go in the house! I am on day 3 of putting them in the house. We will see. Thanks yall.

Quote:
Did you block the door?

Mine will run out as soon as you put them in the coop if you dont.

Back
Top Bottom