Chickens will not go in coop! Help!

Just keep putting them in there for a little while. They have to be taught that the coop is their new home. I would also block the door as mentioned previously. They will learn, just be patient.

Quote:
I am currently having these problems as well. Your idea is what I was thinking I might try. I assume they get used to going up and down the coop ladders or steps eventually?? This is the first group that have done this.

For a night light:

there are battery powered "candles" and even candleholders with a fake candle in it that are batter powered. I saw them in the candle section of the supermarket.

The camping section also battery powered lights for tents that can be set on "low."

I was having the same problem with my 7 week old chicks. We were catching them and putting them in the coop. Tonight I turned on their light and they went right in. When they got in I turned their light off and blocked the door. I didn't think they would ever go in on their on. This was the first night, hoping that they continue.

Quote:
Sounds good but even on low they cant last more that a nigh or two.

Thinking about one of those solar panel kits I saw at Harbor Freight. Comes with a panel, converter, and a light. Just need a 12 volt battery.

I went through the same problem. For 3 weeks i had to put them in every night and close the door. By the end of the first week, they would stay in the coop without closing the door. They just wouldn't go in on their own. End of week two, some (like 2-3) would come to the door if I called them while standing at the top of the ramp and go in. Now, the end of week 3. I call them over and all but one of the 13 went into the coop last night. The light is KEY.

Last night we had friends over and we used the dining room. The light is never on in that room, but last night, obviously, it was. The light went through a door next to the run. WOW! They kept trying to jump in through the door window. (did I mention it was dusk...) Others would jump on my mini table next to the coop where the beams of light showed up on the coop wall and would try to push into the coop where the light was. Hello?!?! Funny at the time... So dining room light went off and I turned on the coop light. Magic! 12 of 13 chicks went in on their own. And pretty much in single file................Finally. It can be frustrating.

Mine have the problem of not wanting to go to the other levels - I have different levels in my coop, and they will, when THEY feel like it go on the first floor. They have all gotten on the others once, but they can't seem to figure out how to go down the ramps. I'm hoping this will change when they get a little bigger and more sure of their size
roll.png

Well Good News.

The family and I went to sonic last night to get so ice cream. It was dark by the time we got back. I had put them in there coop at dusk for the last 3 days and blocking the door. When I got home I eased on out to the coop with my flashlight and they were inside. So it works and only 3 days! I was dreding having to round them up in the dark! Oh well I just hope the keep going in. Thanks yall!

I am having a problem with this, but it has been going on for weeks.
I have 14 week old chicks that have been doing this for about 3 weeks. The andalusians and a couple red stars (we call them hoodlums ) roost in a tree every night. I chase them into their coop every night.
We just moved them into the coop with our older egg layers and after only 3 nights they are teaching my older hens (over 2 years old) this bad habit.
I am at my whits end! I will try a night light tomorrow, but if that doesn't work I am not sure what to do. Because they are andalusians (requiring free ranging) my options for rehoming are very very small. I just can't keep them around and teach the rest of the flock this bad habit!!!
Anyone have additional suggestions????????

Back
Top Bottom