Chickens will not roost!! Tried everything!!

my father in law made a ladder and put it against his tree and thats where his chickens slept and the roosters every night in the morning they kind of floated down from the trees you could hear them in the morning flapping their wings as they all came down.

I am very very sure that your birds will roost sooner or later. I would for sure keep the laying boxes blocked off until you see eggs. More than likely the first eggs will not be laid in the nest boxes anyway. It is in their instinct to lay in a dark area and to get on a roost.

It is a bit odd but certainly not unheard of for them to sleep on t he floor until about the time they start to lay.

I have a mixed age flock. Last night was the first night that all the chickens went in the house and all up on roosting bars. I have one high and one low. Maybe add a low bar for them to start on. I had 3 young wyandottes that were sleeping out in the grass of their yard. Now they are on the roost too!

The idea of the roost being too close to the wall might be it. I have a very small coop and when the chickens are on the roost their tail feathers touch the side of the coop and yes it is pretty high. there is about 12in. of space between the roof and the roost. This might be part of my problem but 2 of the birds are roosting fine now its the bigger 3 that will not go up. I might try to cut the roost down a little bit and see if that helps.
sad.png
They didnt have any problem getting up on the ledge I blocked off so I dont see why they would have trouble getting on the roost.

Moved the roost away from the wall and lowed it a few inches and I am proud to say that tonight is the first night that all chickens are roosting on there own. Thanks for the advice it truly helped!! You guys are the best!!
big_smile.png
woot.gif

My chickens are 8 weeks old and I see them piled up in the corner sleeping. I figure they will roost sooner or later. We have a ladder holding up a tarp for shade and they get on the ladder.

Quote:
If you feel any better, I almost did what you did, which is why I thought about the distance from the wall. They really like their room! Glad I could help!
thumbsup.gif

I have 8wk olds w/same problem. they were going on roosts before I covered the coop making it darker .And 2 are polish. So I'm going to try putting a ladder up to it. Otherwise they just pile up two in each corner. However they do go in their coop by themself at night.
fl.gif

thankyou all to added to this post.

we have just got 10 wk old ISA browns and had the same issue. our coop was dark because we used a colourbond roofing (tin). when the hens went in it was too dark for them to see the roost. we had to place both hens on the roost manually.

changed over one of the panels (approx 1/2 of the roof) and presto, both hens were up on the roost.

the information in this post was fantastic and greatly appreciated...

Cameron in Melbourne

Back
Top Bottom