Chickens wings look chewed on ....chicken sick!~PICS~

GopherBoyFarms

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Vancouver WA
This morning I went to let the girls out and opened the door to get the one polish off the roost (I have to get her down each day...she doesnt see well)
I heard someone hit the floor HARD, so when I went in the saw Scar laying on the floor on her side.
I brought her inside and took a look at her and both wings look like the end is chewed on. One worse the the other and right where it is chewed it has a hard lump and is like dried blood. She wont eat or drink, and I think she has a seizure, and is drooling a little.
Is there any hope for her?
All the other chickens seem to be doing fine...I checked them and no one else has chewed up wings.
Could mited do something like this? I dont see bugs on any of my flock, and never have. We use DE on a regular basis.
Any ideas, I will try to get pics if I can.

Last edited:
holy moley-- Sounds like you have a rodent problem. I've never heard of a chicken chewing on another bird. They don't have teeth! Lice or mites won't do this kind of damage. You've got a mouse or something maybe that tried to chew off some feathers I bet. I suppose she could have done that to herself though, if something was bothering her, but bugs are generally under wings and around the vent. You should isolate her from the others, put neosporin on the wounds, and hope for the best. If she's suffering, you might consider culling her.
sad.png

well here is a little update......
Grrrrrrrrr I am one mad mamma
DS and I went to to an friends house for a BDay party....its over an hour and a half away so we stayed the night, well that was Sat night....DH (cant really call him that at the moment) JUST NOW told me.."Oh I think that was the chicken that stayed out all night and wouldnt go into the coop". I was like "WHAT???" they never stay out, and why he didnt catch her and check her out, or tell me when I got home so I could check her out see what was wrong! That was 2 nights ago, and he is just now telling me!

Well she is breathing really hard, and has drool running out of her mouth.
There is a dead coon laying in the street infront of our house this morning, maybe it got her Saturday night, but I dont see any other wounds on her.
Yesterday she laid an egg that looked like a goose egg, so big the kids couldnt fit it in their hand!!

I am going to the feed store today...is there an antibiotic I can give her orally?

I am considering culling her...I dont want to but this poor girl, got scratched by a mole (she stuck her head in the mole hole) and then flew into the wall and scalped herself...her comb just started growing back...I didnt think it would..but she has been through a lot.....maybe she will make it threw this?

Last edited:
OH no! I bet your hen got attacked. Is the coon squashed, like hit by a car? You better be careful with this hen. She could have a nasty infection from that coon. There are antibiotics at the farm stores, but unless she's like your favorite hen in the flock or something, I'd cull her. It's a sad thing to do, but it sounds like she's suffering. There's some reason she wouldn't go into the coop in the first place, but now she's really sick. You don't want disease spreading. If you cull her, bury the remains far away from where your other chickens roam.

unfortionately(sp) we have a pet cemetary. She might be there later today if Icant get anymore ideas on what to do.

Oh yeah that coon was hit by a car.

Well, at least you know it didn't die of distemper or something. Coons can be icky. I bet it go ahold of your poor birdy and she got away wounded.

she is still hanging in there......I still have her inside, and tomorrow I an going to try soaking her wing and then using some neosporin on it.

Any advice on what oral antibiotic to use????

Quote:
I didnt have time this morning to read the entire thread so sorry if I am repeating something which has already been stated... not seeing well she could have injured herself earlier and the other birds may have pecked at that (blood) and gone on to continue pecking/nibbling at her feathers.
Separate her (perhaps make a little nest out of a cardboard box placed on a block of something so it will be off the floor and let her sleep in their if you can not separate her to a dogcarrier or such outside the coop and let her recover.
You might consider a bird supplement especially formulated for molting birds as feather eating is associated with a deficiency of methionine >this should be in the supplement especially for molting > look at the cage bird section in your petstore for this and make sure methionine is in the ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom