Chickens wings look chewed on ....chicken sick!~PICS~

thanks for your response...maybe I worded my first post wrong...it isnt the hurt one i went into get off the roost this morning...the reason I went into the coop was to get a different bird down, thats when I found Scar laying on the floor. I dont think it was the other birds that did this to her....I spend lots of time out with them in the day (I have no life) and I think I would have noticed...I really think something chewed on her wing at night when DH left her outside alone one night. (I wasnt home that night).
She still isnt eating or drinking so I will try feeding her by hand tomorrow and dribbling water along her beak. I dont want to give up on her yet.....I still think it was a coon, so I am still wondering is there an all purpose antibiotic I can give her incase she has an infection?

She is in a dog crate in the house. We have a little chicken community in the house right now.
Gopherbator filled with eggs today, and 7 babys in a brooder both in the spare room, and we are trying to save a tiny tiny tiny spraddle legged chicky.

amoxcillin (clav potentiated) 125 mg. per lb of bird weight.
She needs to be hydrated first... after giving the initial dose ensure she has sufficent water after to get it out of the crop and into her system.

thank you....she is eating this morning, I gave her some scrambled eggs and bread soaked in water, I havent seen her drink yet but she gobbled up the bread and eggs. And she is standing now.

tetramyacyn (can't spell it) but you can find it at Orschlens or your feed store and it is cheap and nice to have on hand also she may need some vital which is cheap and located at the same places. Some Wal-Marts even have it.

That one picture looks like she could have a feather that needs to be pulled out. I had a pigeon like that and it bled like a stuck pig till I ended up pulleing the feather out. Some feathers are blood feathers and do that when damaged. Well I think if you just check down by where it goes into the skin and see if it is oozing blood and if the shaft looks like it has blood in it. Otherwise I would leave it alone. Hope she gets better.

Last edited:
well I went to move her to the bigger pet taxi and she almost flew out of my hands. She scarffed up some scrambled eggs I gave her and DH said to put her down and see what she does. She ran right ot the back door where she could see the flock out free ranging and tapped on the glass.....so we let her out. She shot this STINKY egg stuff out of hr vent, ran over to the water and drank and drank, now her waddles are bright red, and she is walking around with the flock. Her wings arent bleeding anymore, but still tender to the touch and a little warm. I am going to keep an eye on her and maybe bring her inside tonight again, but right now she looks fine (for her.....poor thing fits her name, Scar)

oh, and this is the egg she lay the day before I noticed she was hurt (the HUGE ONE)

100_0004-17.jpg

Last edited:
Aw... that's heartbreaking! but by the end of the thread one begins to feel a bit better for her.

How is she doing now?

Back
Top Bottom