Chickens with bald backs / no feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dc0145a, Sep 19, 2008.

1. dc0145a

dc0145a New Egg

Nov 29, 2007
    My laying flock, about 10 girls, have no feathers on their backs. One of the girls has quite a red back.

I recently got rid of 5 roosters that were doing a number on my poor girls. Could this be why they
    have no feathers?

How do I get the feathers to regrow?

They are fed layer pellets and have fresh greens/weeds throughout the day. Fresh water
    3x day with apple cider vinegar added.

I spray the coup 2x per week with Poultry Protector.

2. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had this problem ... in particular with one of my gals. It has taken many months to even start the feathers growing back. I put an apron on her back to prevent sunburn, but the wings got it too!

Here's what I've done - I give them extra protein ... anything I've got, some eggs, leftover meat, sunflower seeds. And I use Avia charge in their water.

If would be great if you could keep them from laying, since that does deplete them of protein, but short of that, I'd give them lots of extra protein.

Good luck. If you don't have the aprons... search on this site, since there are a number of people who sell or make them... and I think someone created a pattern.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, the cheapest way to go is duct tape. It just falls off every few days to a week , sometimes more, then you put some more on. Or get some saddles.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Duct tape is a quick fix. My blue orp Bonnie is wearing duct tape right now. We went a couple days ago and she was starting to go bald thanks to Mosby. So far her duct tape saddle is in place and doing well.

5. McGoo

MP, Have you ever used it on their wings? My gals has got red skin on her wings... I try and put on zinc oxide, but it comes off all the time.

thanks

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Try it and tell us how it works. There always has to be a first time. I would cut the tape in narrow pieces.

7. McGoo

I'll give it a shot. She's so red and nothing else is working. Stay tuned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by