Chickens with Breathing problems. Not sure what to do

maddiep2000

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Over the past 8-9 months I have had 3 of my six chickens die. They all have passed (i believe) of similar causes and I think one of my last few is getting sick as well. Rosy's having trouble breathing and is making a gurgling sound sometimes and she often sneezes. I think she either has a breathing problem or the flu and I'm not sure what to do with the poor girl, I just want her to get better. Can anyone help me?

Welcome to BYC. They are probably suffering from a chronic respiratory disease such as mycoplasma or coryza. ILT and infecrtious bronchitis are 2 others that are common. You can treat with antibiotics such as Tylan 50 injection or oxytetracycline in the water, but it would be best to find out what disease they are suffering from, and a necropsy by your state vet or testing by your vet or local NPIP tester may give you an answer of what disease is going around. The diseases all create carriers, and even though it is difficult, culling them, cleaning and disinfecting your premises, and waiting a few months to get new nealthy chickens may be best. If you do treat the sick ones, you should close your flock to Any new birds coming in or birds going out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I am so happy as I am seeing signs of improvement. I think she is getting better, well certainly more active!

It's good that she is doing better. Did you decide to use antibiotics, and if so, which one? Most are available online, but the ones I mentioned are available in some farm stores.

Back
Top Bottom