Chickens with feathered feet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CoolClucker, Sep 27, 2013.

1. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    Hello. I have 2 light brahama hens and am concerned about the upcoming winter. I have heard that since they have feathers on their feet, that the snow compacts there and causes their feet/toes to become frostbitten. I know that I can protect my roo's comb with Vaseline but am hesitant to put that on the girls' feet because I do not want them to slip around. Is there anything I can do to protect their little feet? I am concerned in general about the chicks feet being cold. I guess they're ok but sometimes their toes are very cold. So how do you keep your chicks feet warm and protected, especially those with feathers? Thanks! :D

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    the feathers on their feet help keep them warm but i dont let my in the snow. if u keep wide perches for them, 2 by 4 turned sideways when they roost they will squat and cover their own feet when they are too cold. when it is bitter cold out i give them a heat lamp to huddle under about 2 feet off the floor depending on their size

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    All of my feather footed breeds have loved scratching around in the snow/mud/dirt/whatever. They've never had an issue, I treat them just like any other chicken. Where there'd be a problem would be if your run/coop was always wet/muddy, but that would cause problems for any chicken, feathered feet or not. Good luck :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by