chickens with featherless rears??? what could it be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by queenhoneeybee, Jun 9, 2010.

1. queenhoneeybee

queenhoneeybee Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    my stepfather has some chickens that he has had for almost a year now and maybe few months ago his chickens feathers on the rear near vent and extended to whole bottoms are featherless. he has treated for mites and coop and has also have them antibiotics to no avail. does anyone have any ideas on what is the cause of this? i must also say that the rest of the chickens feathers looks fab from head to wings and only a few of the chickens out of 10 are affected... the rest look perfect. thanks for any info!

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    how old are they? Maybe they went into molt? Is there a rooster around?

3. queenhoneeybee

May 21, 2010
    they are a little over a year now. their rears are completely bald and it looks like its skin (body) bright red. they are all hens.

4. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    My girls that are lower on the pecking order get them plucked out by their superiors. The ones at the top are full of feathers.

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If he has treated and re-treated for bugs and they are still bald hens then...Sounds like you have some feather pluckers.

Usually occurs when some layers aren't getting enough protein in their diet. You will need to sort out the slow bald ones until their feathers grow back and take a look at the feed situation. Maybe switch to flock raiser with calcium supplement on the side for awhile.

6. queenhoneeybee

May 21, 2010
    thanks so much for the info i will make sure to tell my dad. =]

7. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Sometimes hens will get a bald spot from being mated with a roo. I have one who gets it the others don't. Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by