Chickens with plenty of room choose to sleep in a pile

Aemilia

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2020
Hello everyone!
I have 9 hens, about 6 months old, who insist in sleeping directly on top of each other instead of roosting or otherwise spreading out. Is this normal behavior? Their coop is a converted 8’x10’ metal shed with a 7’ roost. I have tried a few different roost but it doesn’t make a difference. It has been happening for months, so I don’t think it is because they are cold now that the weather is changing. Daisy, my speckled Sussex, is the only one I ever see on the roost.
Is this something I should be concerned about?
EB1B7C74-D5B8-4800-AFB4-0B3FB2AECC5D.png

Do they have a chicken ladder to help them up to the roost?

Until they reach POL (point of lay) they will change plumage several times thus often lacking the appropriate wing feathering to reach higher roosts without a ladder and building the bad habit of piling on the ground or in nest boxes.

Consider ta chicken ladder and turning your roost bar flat side up to provide more comfort and less pressure on their feet soles.

It looks like they're piling near the nest box. Do you leave eggs in there overnight? Are any of them (all of them) possibly broody?
I have some ceramic nest eggs in the nesting boxes since they only started laying about 2 weeks ago. I will probably take them out soon. I haven’t noticed any of the normal broody behaviors. Our black Australorp is pretty dominant and she likes to hang out back there so I think they just follow her lead. I haven’t noticed any broody behavior

Back
Top Bottom