Chickens with runny nose and sneezing

I have also been reading about Vitamin A deficiency. Is anyone familiar with this? I have switched from Purina Layena to a cheaper chicken food about 6 weeks ago. I have always fed the Layena to my chickens, so I'm wondering if this may have something to do with the onset of this.

Wow I swear there are alot of posts with these same symptoms...I have been hearing of alot of MG cases and I seriously believe thats what everyones birds is getting...

Honestly the only way to know for sure what your birds have is to get them tested by state vet and find out...Respitory disease may not be fatal but the birds become carriers for life and any birds they come in contact with are likely to get sick as well.... If you go from one cage to another to feed and water your birds they all probably have it as you're probably touching the sick birds and stepping in their feces or collecting their dander on your clothes then messing with the unsymptomized chicks/cornishes...So its probably best to assume all your flock has had contact with the disease. Honestly at this point my best advice would be to cull any symptomatic chickens for now, and cull any future ones that crop up...Do not introduce any new birds into your flock. If you cull any birds take the bodies to be tested by the state vet for disease.

Pale color, watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, choking/gagging sounds/motions (stretched neck gaping mouth - honking, coughing, or choking sounds) are signs of MG or Mycoplasma but could be one of the other respitory diseases.....these diseases carry from chicken to egg to chick and can be airborne when the chickens go into moult and shed feathers and dander like crazy...Which is this time of year so I warn you again to assume each and every bird in your care/yard is quite possibly infected. But again I suggest culling as symptoms appear if you want to get back to a healthy flock...some of your birds may have a stronger immune system and natural immunity to whats going around in your flock, and if you want to give them a chance i'd suggest culling birds as they appear to be sick, and remove all birds from a house/area to santize it with a dilute bleach solution, a thorough scrubbing, raking the top soil from the ground up and putting down DE and a couple inches of sand in the run area and your usual bedding in the coop/house area...You may be able to selectively eradicate the disease this way from your flock without culling them all.

Good luck and I hope things turn out okay.

Thanx Scaredofshadows. Great info. I'm hoping it was a false alarm (and that I got the right hen). I have not heard anymore strange sounds from her today in the dog crate. Maybe she choked on something and that was making the noise. I don't know but I'm being very paranoid and keeping an ear and eye on all. Fingers crossed.

I also have some ducks, so can the ducks get MG or my turkey? The ducks are in the same enclosure with the cornish rocks and so far none of them have shown any signs of illness. The turkey is kind of free range since he can fly and my fence is only 4 feet tall. Oh I also wormed the sebright with the pale comb (at the time of worming it was almost white-looking) and this morning it was a deep, healthy red. Is this just a coincidence? He had been like this for 3 days now and is acting pretty much normal (he had been off by himself a lot).

Hi I have 20 show quality polish chicks about 4 weeks old I only had one die the day after shipping besides that everything else has been going really well up until about 30 minutes ago I was doing my nightly rounds making sure everyone had food and water! The polish chicks just graduated from their indoors boorder to an outdoors wire cage up off the ground! We are actually building their forever coop right now and it should be done this week! Anyway I stopped to give the polish some more food an heard a weird noise after looking around I noticed it was a silver laced! So I got him out and he was opening his mouth like he was chirping but nothing was coming out, besides ever now and then a weird frog like noise! I started panicking! I noticed inside his mouth looked like he had a little bit of crud where his tongue would be! Anyway I ran and grabbed the duramycin and added some to the rest of the flocks water and moved him to a plastic tote back inside and added extra duramycin to his water! I put 4 drops of vetrx on everyone's head and one drop over everyone's nose! All the others looked and acted fine I just didn't want to take a chance! I'm semi new to chickens so any advice would be greatly appreciated! I do plan on breeding these birds! How would they have gotten this? I did just let them out a couple days ago in their play pen on the grass to peck around for a couple hours! I also did just buy a houdan/polish mix and stick in the cage with them but he looked perfectly fine and I haven't had any problems out of any of the other birds I bought from the same guy i got the mix from! The other chicks I bought from that same guy are inside and doing really well! (Knock on wood) I just have this one polish chick that's acting up! When I put him in the tote he didn't wanna drink or really do much of anything! However I did notice when I reach in to get him out when I first noticed it he did kinda skurry and try to get away like the others did? Seemed like he had a little energy! What should I do when I wake up in the morning? And can anyone tell me exactly how much antibiotics to give them I have no clue and the instructions don't really help! I just need to know like a teaspoon full or a pinch lol I have nothing to measure it with? Please dont tell me I need to Kill my flock? I have close to 100 chicken/turkey/quail ;-( Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Well I moved 4 total into isolation now! They are sneezing and opening their mouth a lot and two of them sound a little rattly but there is no sores or anything in their mouth? I should kill them? They all have plenty of energy and act totally fine minus the opening of their mouths? I really don't wanna kill them I paid a fortune for them and they are pets!

Last edited:
D
Well I moved 4 total into isolation now! They are sneezing and opening their mouth a lot and two of them sound a little rattly but there is no sores or anything in their mouth? I should kill them? They all have plenty of energy and act totally fine minus the opening of their mouths? I really don't wanna kill them I paid a fortune for them and they are pets!
od

Back
Top Bottom