Chickens won’t go in at night.

All my girls are 6 weeks old. They use the ramp - in and out all day long. Food and water is inside. But as it gets darker they are still outside picking and scratching in the pen (I also have an elevated coop, so they can get underneath and I have to coax them out). The past two nights I’ve gone out and physically put them inside by hand, blocking the entrance so that they can’t come back out. They don’t like that LOL. I hope they learn fast! Daylight saving time is going to be tough to get them inside before dark if I’m not home in time - and I definitely can’t leave them out overnight! Help is appreciated!!

It takes up to two weeks for chicks to get the knack of using ramps. If they are hatched by a broody and she's raising them it's about four days for most of them to make the ramp following mom. By week end all of them will make it to coop following her.

All my girls are 6 weeks old. They use the ramp - in and out all day long. Food and water is inside. But as it gets darker they are still outside picking and scratching in the pen (I also have an elevated coop, so they can get underneath and I have to coax them out). The past two nights I’ve gone out and physically put them inside by hand, blocking the entrance so that they can’t come back out. They don’t like that LOL. I hope they learn fast! Daylight saving time is going to be tough to get them inside before dark if I’m not home in time - and I definitely can’t leave them out overnight! Help is appreciated!!
You may have to put them in after dark before you lock up until they get with the program.
Do you have an auto-door?
Are they free ranging......or IIRC you have a run hopefully it's predator proof?
You could set a dim light on a timer, to draw them inside..set it to come on around dusk then turn if off when you get home.

Great news! I put an LED bulb in the heat lamp this morning. They all were in before it got dark! I turned the light off and said good night!! I’ll keep this going for a few nights before I plan on putting the light on a timer. Hopefully SUCCESS!

Thanks for all the input! :)

Back
Top Bottom