Chickens won’t go in coop

Maybe selling it could be something to talk about with him, I don't know. I do think the space overall would work as an open air set up in your climate. The run may be fine as is if your dog is a good guardian (as that would thwart a lot of potential attacks), but I didn't want to mislead you by saying predator security wouldn't be a concern when it could possibly be.
Oh no no i understand. I guess I worry more when we do get the storms or winter when it’s gets cold. Like right now it’s raining and I don’t think they would have woken up to go in. Plus my backyard tends to flood not so much in the area they are at but they have worked the ground down a bit. I know I’ll need to add something to the ground.

Oh no no i understand. I guess I worry more when we do get the storms or winter when it’s gets cold. Like right now it’s raining and I don’t think they would have woken up to go in. Plus my backyard tends to flood not so much in the area they are at but they have worked the ground down a bit. I know I’ll need to add something to the ground.
How cold does it get in the winter? Chickens deal better with cold than heat.

Is the run sitting in a low spot in the yard? What form of litter (if any) are you currently using?

How cold does it get in the winter? Chickens deal better with cold than heat.

Is the run sitting in a low spot in the yard? What form of litter (if any) are you currently using?
We can get cold enough to frost plants and kill them. It’s just dirt I rake it 3 times a week to help keep it clean. I wouldn’t say it’s a low spot per say like the side of my yard on the other side.

We can get cold enough to frost plants and kill them. It’s just dirt I rake it 3 times a week to help keep it clean. I wouldn’t say it’s a low spot per say like the side of my yard on the other side.
So coldest is just about freezing? The chickens will do fine in those temps as long as they have somewhere to shelter - like a wall or two built from pallet wood blocking the roosting area from oncoming winds would suffice.

If you don't have odor/mud issues then dirt is currently working fine in your set up. So you could just add more dirt, topsoil, sand (not sure what kind of soil you have) to raise the ground back up in that spot.

So coldest is just about freezing? The chickens will do fine in those temps as long as they have somewhere to shelter - like a wall or two built from pallet wood blocking the roosting area from oncoming winds would suffice.

If you don't have odor/mud issues then dirt is currently working fine in your set up. So you could just add more dirt, topsoil, sand (not sure what kind of soil you have) to raise the ground back up in that spot.
I’ll be bringing in regular dirt to fill in as needed. I will be putting up a tarp on one side to help provide shade for them and a small tub with a brick to help keep cool as well as doing ice molds with veggies in it for them this summer. I have yet to notice any odor but he set up a fly trap near them and it got full after a few days.

Back
Top Bottom