Chickens won’t go in their coop at night

Ditch that heat. They have down coats to keep them warm.

I have to say I was so surprised by my BO's cold resistance. I can be sitting out there spending time with them, shivering in the mid 30's. And they're just running around like little dinosaurs, enjoying the freedom. If they can handle that, I know they're going to be warm enough, huddle together in a well-insulated coop. (By insulated, I just mean double-walled, and not drafty).

Wait, I’m supposed to put food and water inside the coop for them at night? They can’t even see in the dark.
We put that in there when we left them in the coop for 4 days straight, and just left it there :idunno. We also threw some LED lights in there on a timer, so they can see in there during their daytime.

Hey all, we’re having a little issue with our 11 week old flock not going into their coop at night. We are brand new to the chicken thing, so what are your Dos and don’ts to ensure your flock goes in on their own?

"Easy" way to home them to a coop is to simply lock them inside for a couple of days HOWEVER unless you always have artificial light available at dust or add a source of natural light, they simply cannot see inside and will not want to go in.

You will need to open up venting on that run as well. Moist air is unhealthy for chickens. It often leads to respiratory problems and frostbite.

x2 on ditching the heat, though I'd spend the rest of the week weaning them off it since you've gotten them used to it. 11 week olds need absolutely no supplemental heat.

The run is way overcovered in plastic. You're trying to keep them warm and it's unnecessary... the only thing the plastic should be doing is blunting winter winds and keeping out some precipitation. You should have openings towards the top on every side if possible (depending on your wind directions) and maybe even one entire wall left open to fresh air.

I also see no vents in the coop. The coop alone should have roughly a minimum of 1 sq ft of vent per bird.

Moisture + freezing temps = frostbite and respiratory issues.

I got four new chickens yesterday and they didn’t know where to go to sleep,they ended up in a corner in the run. I read on here to hang a torch in the coop and turn it on at dusk,plus put a trail of scratch/food on the ramp leading in. So I did those things and went inside. Went back out when it was dark and they were all up there! Amazing, I love this website, thank you. So yes definitely try the torch or hook up a low watt light bulb - needs to be white not a red heat lamp, so they can go to the light :)

mine try to use up every scrap of daylight lately but when i was "training" them i started telling them its time for bed girls come on.. over and over. now i usually only say it once. they are just now 7 months old.the more you mess with them the better

mine try to use up every scrap of daylight lately but when i was "training" them i started telling them its time for bed girls come on.. over and over. now i usually only say it once. they are just now 7 months old.the more you mess with them the better
Wait, you tell them to go to bed??!!! That’s amazing 🤩

Back
Top Bottom