Chickens won’t go in their coop at night

@LadyofHenezuela
I found your intro thread. :frow From another Coloradan.

My advice first would be ditch the heater. Our climate is not cold enough to need one. Even if using one you don't want them going from cold outside to human house temp to cold outside. You should only warm to to around 32° if at all.

The fact that you ARE able to actually heat your coop is telling me you need more ventilation. Ventilation allows warm moist air to rise (taking heat with it) and is critical in preventing frostbite.
We’ve been heating it because they are still young—still ditch it?

My chickens are older, but treats are the best medicine for stubborn birds. Get corn or cat food (or another favorite food) and herd them into the coop. Tough love is also necessary to build a habit. You may have to leave them in the coop for 24 hours so they just get used to it. Hopefully that helps.

Great questions! We’re in Northeast Colorado on the foothills of the Rockies. We covered their run in plastic over the winter for snowier dayside they can still enjoy getting out of their coop and stretching their legs. They like to park it overnight under their food dispenser until I force them to get into their coop (previously by picking them up. Last night was the first time I was able to coax them in just by gently nudging them there.). Enjoy the bloopers of Rowena and Charlotte using this as a photo op.
View attachment 2423771

View attachment 2423772
View attachment 2423779
Where they like to fall asleep:View attachment 2423774
Rest of run/
View attachment 2423775
Bloopers:
View attachment 2423782
View attachment 2423783
View attachment 2423785

Yes ditch that heat. I have had chickens Here in Colorado (front range too) since 1995. There was a break in there when I moved back into town but not a huge one.

Yes ditch that heat. Also pull all that insulation out. Rodents and bugs will love hiding in that and chickens tend to eat it.
I see no venting. You NEED (or rather THEY need) fresh air....lots and lots of fresh air.

Ditch that heat. They have down coats to keep them warm.

You will need to open up venting on that run as well. Moist air is unhealthy for chickens. It often leads to respiratory problems and frostbite.

I will need to go back a page but....if there aren't windows in that coop it will be to dark for them to see at dusk.

Did I mention ditching the heat?

Yup I have 12 week olds out in a coop right now. No heat and lightweight breeds. Open sofit venting on that coop.

If you want pics let me know.

Oh and ditch the heat.

Yes ditch that heat. I have had chickens Here in Colorado (front range too) since 1995. There was a break in there when I moved back into town but not a huge one.

Yes ditch that heat. Also pull all that insulation out. Rodents and bugs will love hiding in that and chickens tend to eat it.
I see no venting. You NEED (or rather THEY need) fresh air....lots and lots of fresh air.

Ditch that heat. They have down coats to keep them warm.

You will need to open up venting on that run as well. Moist air is unhealthy for chickens. It often leads to respiratory problems and frostbite.

I will need to go back a page but....if there aren't windows in that coop it will be to dark for them to see at dusk.

Did I mention ditching the heat?

Yup I have 12 week olds out in a coop right now. No heat and lightweight breeds. Open sofit venting on that coop.

If you want pics let me know.

Oh and ditch the heat.
Sooo you think OP needs to add another heater?
:lau

oh man your first post just wasnt very clear
:lol:

Lol! I will try to be more clear in the future. :lol:

Summing up....

Proper venting makes heating moot.
Proper venting is critical to having healthy birds.
Proper venting makes insulation moot as well.

Oh and heatlamps are a huge fire risk. Just not worth it one bit.

Back
Top Bottom