Chickens won’t lay eggs

RI_Chicken

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2020
Hi everyone,

Back in September I was given 4 chickens all the same age. They were about 7 months old at the time. I ended up keeping 3 of the chickens and giving one of them to my father.

Fast forward to present day, the chicken I gave to my father finally started laying eggs in the beginning of December where mine have not or even shown signs of getting ready to lay like getting the straw ready for the nesting box etc.

My father and I use the same layer feed and have the exact same coop setup. Also they are free ranged and have access to grass and bugs.

Any ideas of why they wouldn’t be laying? Not sure what breed 2 of them are but I know one of them is an Easter egger and the chicken I gave my dad is an Easter egger as well.

Thanks!!!

I assume you're in RI, so it's cold and the days are short. Chickens don't lay much in the winter. Just be patient.

A couple other signs they're ready to lay: If you approach from behind the hen and put your hand on her back, she will squat. If their combs are turning bright red, that's a good sign.

You can also put a fake egg or two in the nest to show them where to lay.

Good luck!

Thank you! Thankfully it hasn’t been that cold here yet.

Was just very odd how the one I gave my father has been laying for over a month and mine haven’t. I guess I just need to keep patient!

Back
Top Bottom