Chickens won’t roost.

I would love some layout ideas. I just threw this together out of what I had available at the time. I currently have 7 chickens but 2-3 are roosters and I will only keep one of them. I will have 5-6 chickens. The coop is 8x4.

For being "thrown together" it looks pretty darn good!

My coops are different dimensions so i can't help with pictures BUT there are literally tons in the coops section here. Some will surely have good inside pictures.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There are awesome ideas to be had in that area.

For being "thrown together" it looks pretty darn good!

My coops are different dimensions so i can't help with pictures BUT there are literally tons in the coops section here. Some will surely have good inside pictures.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There are awesome ideas to be had in that area.
Yes it looks pretty, because I had some spare trim and door from a kitchen reno, and my dad had some nice siding lying around in his garage. You’ll notice it has no real roof yet though (luckily it is still in the garage) and the inside really needs work!
Thank you for the link, I will check it out!

Yes it looks pretty, because I had some spare trim and door from a kitchen reno, and my dad had some nice siding lying around in his garage. You’ll notice it has no real roof yet though (luckily it is still in the garage) and the inside really needs work!
Thank you for the link, I will check it out!

When finishing the roof be sure to include big overhangs all around and leave the soffits open but secured with hardware cloth for permanent ventilation.

Are you going to be moving it outside? Might want to pull the glass out while moving it.

When placing it I would be careful to have the windows not getting sun in the heat of summer.

Just future things to think about.

For layout the nests should be below the roost height so they don't sleep/poop in them. You will want 2 nests for your girls. They may still just use one but if it's occupied they will have the option.

I like to keep roosts 15+ inches away from the wall to prevent tail damage from rubbing the wall and poop from hitting the wall. I keep my roosts 18+ inches apart to give plenty of room for them to sleep and reduce "You're in my space!" pecking.

Landing space is important. I have pretty big birds and found for every foot up they need 18" or more outward to land in. I keep my roosts at a 24" height. It works well for my girls.

You have cute birds by the way.

Ok, I made some changes today using some of the advice I got here. Hopefully this will help. The nesting box is in a temporary spot. I’d eventually like to have it outside of the coop. I would like to move the whole thing outdoors once the snow melts! Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try putting them on the roosts after dark tonight..

Attachments

• 44EF93B9-9C0C-4EF3-A01A-05A148F60310.jpeg
    44EF93B9-9C0C-4EF3-A01A-05A148F60310.jpeg
    760.4 KB · Views: 11
  • C54ACB00-DDD1-40F7-9AA9-5C203D2B4536.jpeg
    C54ACB00-DDD1-40F7-9AA9-5C203D2B4536.jpeg
    687.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DF756712-AB67-43A8-A918-0BE25A6AF1B4.jpeg
    DF756712-AB67-43A8-A918-0BE25A6AF1B4.jpeg
    779.3 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom