Chickens won't come out!

charsis

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Day 3 since we got our 4 21 week old layers and they do not seem to want to come out of their coop! The last couple days I got worried they'd starve or dehydrate so put them into their run and closed the coop to force them to stay out and eat, which they did. As soon as I opened up the door again they went straight back in! Today I'm resolved to leave them to figure it out on their own. They won't starve themselves will they? How long will this go on for?

is your run covered??? Have you noticed a hawk flying at all around?? i been noticing alil that mine would rather be outisde in my big run on overcast days rather than the sunny days .....im just throwing that out there ive been meaning to pay more attention.....i have the opposite problem with my 4 ducks they wont go in the coop for food or water so i have to take it to them every night

Are there older girls in there? If so that's why. Always go through this with younger chickens. Just what they do. Run straight for the coop. I do the same thing to a point. Lock them outside. But I can't because the older girls want to lay eggs. LOL. But what I have noticed, they won't starve or die of thirst. That will take over and they will start to come out little by little. Patients is the key here.

Back
Top Bottom