1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens Won't Eat Out Of Hanging Feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by binky1902, Dec 27, 2014.

1. binky1902

binky1902 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    I have a hanging plastic feeder in the coop that my chickens refuse to eat out of. I have some little dishes out in the run that hang on the side of the fence that are really small, and I fill them daily in case they want to eat while they are outside. Well, when the feed runs out of the outside dishes, they just go without until I fill them back up...they won't eat out of the hanging feeder inside that's full of feed. It got so bad that I finally built them a ground feeder out of 10x2's shaped in a V to put outside under the covered part of the run so I don't have to fill dishes twice a day. I'm thinking about just taking the hanging feeder out. Anyone else have this issue? I don't know if the hanging feeder freaks them out or what. Maybe they just don't like going inside to eat?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Do they get any "treats" they are particularly fond of? Place a bit of that on feed in hanging feeder and observe (does feeder swing when feed is "beaked", for example). How long did you try using the hanging feeder, alone (before "saving the starving")?

3. binky1902

Dec 25, 2014
    Well I did try that back when it first started. I put in some mealworms and corn chops to try and get them more interested but they just pick out what's visible and leave the rest. I've had that feeder in there since they were moved to the coop at 4 weeks old, and they have never liked it. I'm wondering if maybe they don't like it moving? I've thought about adding a weight to the bottom of it or something. I put it at the recommended level, but they rather eat out of the dishes that are right on the ground.

The funny thing is, my other flock in my other barn only eat out of the hanging feeder, and don't want a feeder that's close to the ground. I've done both feeders the same, moving them up as the chickens grow so they can eat at a comfortable level. I guess I'm just going to give in and let the one flock eat out of the wooden one.

4. binky1902

Dec 25, 2014
    I really do want them eating out of the plastic one though, because I like to take them down periodically and wash them. No telling how much bacteria could build up on a wooden one, because of course they climb all over it and poop on it once it's empty.

5. 11mini

11mini Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Remove all other food sources - they will be eating out of the feeder before the next day. They will not starve themselves if there is food available. They can be picky, and if they are getting other food and treats they won't want the feed. Don't allow it.

6. chapelchooks

chapelchooks New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    Mine like to only eat from the food containers that are on the floor because they like to kick it out and then scratch around in it on the floor before actually eating it!!

7. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    When they get hungry enough they will eat no matter the source. Also, I often hear people say that their birds will only eat crumbles or only pellets. Then they aren't hungry enough yet, just wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by