chickens wont eat pellets?

Twinkkitten

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Tucson, AZ
I bought a 50lb bag of higher protien pellets instead of laying crumbles 5 days ago and they are still not eating! They do forage and it sems like they have lots to eat but worried they are not getting food. What to do? I cannot aford more food this payday.:(

Do you have a food processor or a grinder? You can try grinding up some and see if they will eat it. Mine won't eat pellets of the same brand and protein level but they will eat the crumbles.

Hi

I'm having the same problem with my girls, and was just going to post a similar question.

I have tried several times to get them to eat the layers pellets, to no avail, and they just seem to try and graze all the time. So this afternoon, I put some in a bowl and put some hot water on them and turned them into a mash. Well they are currently wolfing it down, so it proves it's not the taste they don't like, probably just the size of the pellets.

I'm not sure whether this has a detrimental effect on the chickens if you fed it to them like this all the time, I would be interested to hear. But at least you will know your girls got a good feed!

I think I will also get the trusty food processor out and grind them smaller so they can have them as a dry crumble as well.

Last edited:
i feed my big cochin girls nutrena's all flock pellets which are smaller then the laying pellets and my girls really like the pellets didn't have to slowly introduce they liked them right away. i say give yours a few more days chickens should give it up and eat them..they aren't know to starve themselves with food right infront of them

Hi

I'm having the same problem with my girls, and was just going to post a similar question.

I have tried several times to get them to eat the layers pellets, to no avail, and they just seem to try and graze all the time. So this afternoon, I put some in a bowl and put some hot water on them and turned them into a mash. Well they are currently wolfing it down, so it proves it's not the taste they don't like, probably just the size of the pellets.

I'm not sure whether this has a detrimental effect on the chickens if you fed it to them like this all the time, I would be interested to hear. But at least you will know your girls got a good feed!

I think I will also get the trusty food processor out and grind them smaller so they can have them as a dry crumble as well.

The mash is a great idea and good for their health. You should look into fermented feed to see the extra benefits they are getting.

I bought a 50lb bag of higher protien pellets instead of laying crumbles 5 days ago and they are still not eating! They do forage and it sems like they have lots to eat but worried they are not getting food. What to do? I cannot aford more food this payday.
sad.png
My bet is that your chickens are just used to the other feed. They won't starve themselves. Since you are doing the mash, sprinkle pellets on top when you feed them. Gradually increase the percentage of pellets vs crumble. They will transition over to the pellets this way without you worrying. :)

Good grief I have had chickens for years they will eat anything. That includes marbles, buttons, coins. They may shy away from a new food but believe me when I say ( they will not go hungry!! )

I will definitely try to soak them in hot water. And try the coffee grinder. Thanks for all the advice. They did finally eat some pellets today but they are not happy! I still have a couple handfuls of laying crumbles, I throw that and they go nuts.

Hi all, we have fed our bantams "Dobson & Horrell" layers pellets from day one. We changed brands to "small holder range" natural free range layer pellets but they wouldn't Eat them! We have gone back to original brand but they won't eat those now either! Any suggestions? ?

Back
Top Bottom