Chickens Won't Eat Split Peas

what sort of peas are you offering? I've found that, besides the individual preferences of different birds, and the benefits of fermenting or at least soaking overnight, as mentioned by different posters above, none of my flock are keen on maple peas, while almost all like blue and green peas, most like white peas, and all of them took weeks to decide whether they really did like them or not. Peas may be what we call an acquired taste for chickens.

what sort of peas are you offering? I've found that, besides the individual preferences of different birds, and the benefits of fermenting or at least soaking overnight, as mentioned by different posters above, none of my flock are keen on maple peas, while almost all like blue and green peas, most like white peas, and all of them took weeks to decide whether they really did like them or not. Peas may be what we call an acquired taste for chickens.
My cinnamon queen likes the white ones but does not care for the green. But also will eat lizards 🙄. Didn’t know chickens would be so picky.

Fermenting the feed may make the peas more palatable as they will be much softer.

I know fermenting isn't for everyone, but it works for us.
Yes!!

Kalmbachs Henhouse Reserve has split peas in it and is probably why I don't feed that to them anymore as they wasted too much. So, I ferment it.

Every three days now, in the winter every day. They get layer crumbles and don't waste so much anymore.

Back
Top Bottom