Chickens Won't Eat Split Peas

cphoto12

Hatching
Oct 16, 2023
Hi there, new chicken owner here. I'm following Harvey Ussery's recipe for chicken feed. He recommends 30% of the feed be peas as they are a good source of protein. However, whenever I go to feed my chickens they have eaten everything but the peas. Thoughts on why this might be?

I can't get chickens to eat dried peas either. I think the theory of adding dried peas to a homemade feed mix is okay but if the chickens won't eat them then another source of protein needs to be found. It's not easy.
One might think fishmeal would work well but finding a good quality fishmeal of known provenance is difficult here in the UK. It may be better where you are.
Do they need a high protein feed is a further thing to consider. Lots of advice on the net about how chickens need 18% to 20% protein in their diet, but this is generally for high production breeds so the breed of the chickens one has also has an influence. I've now Ex Battery hens here in the UK live on what I estimate was a 12% protein diet and still lay eggs. I'm not suggesting you try this but it does make one wonder about just how much protein a laying hen needs. Feed quility and bioavailibility is yet another factor to be considered. Good quality grains that haven't been processed in any way tend to be best in nutritional value.
Of course how one keeps chickens has a huge impact. If they free range or range they may get a protein boost from waht they forage.

I find soaking the daily portion of micronised peas in very hot water and leaving them to soften up and swell as they cool over a few hours makes them a whole lot more attractive to my bantam Orpington hens. I tend to feed mine their portion of peas in the evening as 'a treat' before they head off to roost for the night. I like to give mine the extra protein boost during moult or once they're recovering after a broody self-plucking episode!

Hi there, new chicken owner here. I'm following Harvey Ussery's recipe for chicken feed. He recommends 30% of the feed be peas as they are a good source of protein. However, whenever I go to feed my chickens they have eaten everything but the peas. Thoughts on why this might be?
Chickens are like any other animal and human for that matter when it comes to likes and dislikes. One hen of mine is afraid of heights and is very grossed out by certain textures, she doesn’t like grub worms no matter how hard she tries and that also goes for live mealworms. Dried mealworms are fine for her though.

My other hen will eat anything and not hesitate to steal your food and run.

My guess is that it also depends how they are raised and since mine were raised not seeing mice that might be the reason they are scared of them and don’t try to attack them.

My suggestion isn’t to just find out their favorite foods and avoid their dislikes. I try to encourage them to eat the food i provide but also occasionally add in the food they love. I guess thats up to personal preference though as food is a subject that is different for everyone. In short though chickens have preferences on their favorite food, it’s up to you on how much to accommodate for them.

A lot of my birds hate dried peas too.

I'm not going to get into the whole debate over type of feed, but you might want to rethink the formula you're using if the birds aren't eating everything.
Looking at it, the peas are a big portion of the protein in the feed so I'm definitely concerned that they are ignoring that component. For the time being I went back to store bought feed until I can figure out how to replace the peas.

Looking at it, the peas are a big portion of the protein in the feed so I'm definitely concerned that they are ignoring that component. For the time being I went back to store bought feed until I can figure out how to replace the peas.
Fermenting the feed may make the peas more palatable as they will be much softer.

I know fermenting isn't for everyone, but it works for us.

Back
Top Bottom