Chickens Won't Go Into Connected Run

latebloomer

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
green mountain state
i have a nice big coop and a connected run that is accessed through a little connector

but my chicks don't seem interested in heading out to the run, i've put them in the connector and coaxed them to run only to come back out and they're all in the coop again

i don't suppose it hurts anything for them to stay in the coop if they prefer it, but i'd be happy to improve the run just to have them use it

any ideas on why they might not like the run?

here's a picture, the hoop run that's in the foreground was moved to the left of the connector
79557_20110603_parts_01.jpg

This past Saturday, I let my chicks (@ six weeks) into their run for the first time. I thought they'd be delighted to get out after being (literally!) cooped up all week, but when I opened the pop door they ran and huddled in the far corner of the coop. I had to reach in, sweep them toward the ramp with my arm and shut the door behind them. For about 30 seconds they cried like it was the end of the world...then they suddenly realized that their universe had tripled in size and began happily running around and scratching at the ground! Now, each morning they shoot out the pop door like little feathered cannonballs and start feasting on the dandelion greens I've put out for them.

As common wisdom predicted, after a week of confinement they recognize the coop as being "home," and each evening as it starts to get dark they dutifully walk up the ramp and roost inside the coop.

Last edited:
i experienced the same thing as encino did. the first time the pop door was opened for the chicks to go into the run, it took 11 minutes for the first one to get up the nerve to stick her head out. for the first few days, they would venture out onto the ramp, but not onto the ground! i tried dropping worms, bugs, etc....but they weren't interested. my run is divided down the middle, with the now 14 week old chicks able to get to one side, my already layin hens on the other. even with the hens out and about, the lil ones were VERY tentative about going outside.

now there are days as i look out and it's almost dark, if they're ever going to go inside! LOL give em time, they'll find it and love it

Yeah, try putting their food and waterer in the run and that way they have to go in there to get it so they get used to it. Just wait till they see snow for the first time! You'll never get them out of the coop....
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom