Chickens won't go into coop at night

addyor

In the Brooder
May 22, 2017
My two chickens wont go into their coop at night , instead they rest on the shelving units next to it . I currently have them in a box since their coop hasn't arrived yet , but it is incredibly annoying since they tend to stick themselves in the very back of the shelf . They Are allowed to roam outdoors and will usually walk to their box all on their own when it starts to get dark . Any help on this would be appreciated .

They like fresh air so that is likely why they don't want to go in a box at night.

I guess you live on an island or somewhere there are no predators.

How old are they? How big is this box...I am thinking they don't like it anymore. Hopefully your coop will arrive soon.

How old are they? How big is this box...I am thinking they don't like it anymore. Hopefully your coop will arrive soon.
they are about 9 weeks and 10 weeks old . it is a full size refrigerator box , and hopefully their coop arrives Thursday

I suggest if you want to get them used to it you could maybe put treats or food in it, then at night, to get them in, you could lift them in, and they will get used to it...

ChickenCanoe,
we have issues with rabbits digging our lawn so we have boarded and concreted every opening into our yard to keep them out. Since the only thing that can get into our yard are birds , we feel safe letting them roam , and we check on them every hour or so

Chicken/Bantam Lover , this actually was the box they were in when they first hatched:)

Back
Top Bottom