chickens wont lay eggs ever since i moved them to a new coop

henexpertwannabe

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2021
hello we are new to backyard chickens....recently got 2 young austrolorp hens (6 months old). when i first got them a few weeks ago, i had them in a makeshift coop and used a cardboard box with a hole in it for roosting and they were laying eggs here and there. i just got a new coop for them a week and a half ago and this one is a professional kind/safer although it is a little smaller, but it has a nesting box with it. anyways they stopped laying eggs altogether ever since i moved them to the new coop but they do sleep in it. we let them roam around the backyard during the day. another difference is that this new coop is on concrete with bedding inside for them to rest/walk on, while the old one was in the dirt. i looked for eggs around my backyard that maybe they were hiding but didn't see any. what am I doing wrong? how do i get them to lay eggs again?

I also set up a separate roosting box outside the coop but they don't go in it.

okay...thank you. there are roosting bars in the coop that are maybe an inch off the ground but they don't use those, they just sit/sleep in the nesting box.
Sounds like you have a prefab? The roosts are often very awfully placed. You can try to improve them by raising them a bit, like so: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535

Chickens want to sit up higher when they roost, and this will also help encourage them to not sit in the nests at night.

Back
Top Bottom