Chickens wont stop drinking leach field water!!

Hey all, this is where the post started:

Hey there guys!

Our lichfield has an area that's a little lower than the rest and water can collect there sometimes. We've had a ton of rain lately so the collection has been pretty frequent.

Her field isn't leaching up, it has a depression where recent, and frequent, rains have been collecting. And a high water table, seasonally higher, which likely explains why her field is relatively shallow at just 24".

The solution is to fill the depression as shallowly as possible to remove it, and berm to divert water from collecting there.

and county health does the inspection. Its cheap, and not a bad precautionary step.

If you have to redo it, look into the infiltrator stuff. No drain rock required. Just non compacted ditch bottom 20-24" deep.

I'll second getting the water tested also. May be a moot point if it's just surface water. (Unless it has the smell already)
Think the chickens will decimate the mint?

Hey there guys!

Our lichfield has an area that's a little lower than the rest and water can collect there sometimes. We've had a ton of rain lately so the collection has been pretty frequent.

The chickens WILL NOT STOP DRINKING IT. I have no idea what to do and I'm concerned for their health and frankly I don't feel comfortable eating the eggs.

What can I do? My plan is to build a flower bed over it to soak up the excess water, but I'm a few months out from being able to do that.
This happened with my Church Birds. I fenced it off so they couldn't get to it, then it started seeping up in places like in front of their coop. My birds started getting sick from it and it even started to effect their appearances. I ended having to re-homing my Church Birds and many other chickens I had just to get the whole leach bed dug up and made bigger. The Church was torn down and my chicken graveyard was destroyed, along with many trees cut down exposing the rest of my farm to more predators. Sometime after we thought that it was fixed, the septic tank started backing up. So, the whole backyard was dug up again and redone. Finally, things are looking good, and last fall I was able to start rebuilding my flock.

Back
Top Bottom