Egg laying slowing down after switching to nipple waterers

taylacline

Chirping
May 19, 2022
Southern West Virginia
We've had the same hens for about a year now, and we've always used the classic gravity waterer. It was always so dirty, so we have recently switched over our watering system to horizontal nipples fed by a rain barrel. The girls seem hesitant but they do use it. I've taken the time to show them myself, and I've seen them peck at the nipples to drink without my help. They do seem to be drinking much less and whenever there is a puddle of rain water they all flock to it.

Has anyone else experienced less water intake from their birds after switching to a nipple set up? If so how do I encourage them to drink more?

Also I'm not sure there is a correlation but since switching to the nipples and the girls seemingly drinking less, our egg production has dropped significantly. Nothing else in their set up has changed so could this be why?

TLDR: After switching to a nipple watering system we have been getting less eggs. Is this connected and how do I fix it?

These are 11 months old. They know nothing other than nipples from their 3rd day of life. They started on verticle bottles and then learned horizontal ones from our homemade small one. Then they knew how to use the 5-gallon DYI nipple bucket in the coop.

These are silkies and in my breeding pen. They lay exactly how they should be. With 5 hens, I get about 4 eggs a day provided one's not broody.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Brooder 2.jpg
    Brooder 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 3
You are in the northern hemisphere so the days are getting longer. So unless a light of some kind (maybe a security light) is no longer there this should not be a factor.

Reducing water intake can reduce laying. Lots of people on this forum use nipple waterers without problems so they should work, but maybe there is a learning curve. How long have they been on nipple waterers?

Sometimes a change of about any kind can affect them laying. Often chickens don't like change. But they are also pretty adaptable over a short period so any effect on egg laying should only be temporary.

Mine prefer a muddy mud puddle to their clean water. If it is not muddy enough they'll scratch before they drink to get it just right. I'm surprised you didn't notice that with your old gravity waterer, that they preferred a mud puddle. I guess each flock is different but I would not read too much into that.

Your options are to carry on and see what happens in a week or so or go back to the old way. Personally I'd give them more time.

TLDR: After switching to a nipple watering system we have been getting less eggs. Is this connected and how do I fix it?
How long has it been since you switched the waterers? If it has only been a few days, I would wait a few more days and keep an eye on things. The hens may just need more time to get used to drinking from the nipples when they need water.

If it has been a week or more since you switched the waterers, and the problem is still there, you could put back the old waterer and see if egg production goes back up. If the water really is the problem, that should fix it, and then you will know what is causing it. If you switch waterers back, and the egg production does not come back up within a few days, then probably something else is causing the drop in eggs.

You are in the northern hemisphere so the days are getting longer. So unless a light of some kind (maybe a security light) is no longer there this should not be a factor.

Reducing water intake can reduce laying. Lots of people on this forum use nipple waterers without problems so they should work, but maybe there is a learning curve. How long have they been on nipple waterers?

Sometimes a change of about any kind can affect them laying. Often chickens don't like change. But they are also pretty adaptable over a short period so any effect on egg laying should only be temporary.

Mine prefer a muddy mud puddle to their clean water. If it is not muddy enough they'll scratch before they drink to get it just right. I'm surprised you didn't notice that with your old gravity waterer, that they preferred a mud puddle. I guess each flock is different but I would not read too much into that.

Your options are to carry on and see what happens in a week or so or go back to the old way. Personally I'd give them more time.
We switched the to the nipples a couple of weeks ago. I might just give it more time first. They've always drank from mud puddles but I want to provide a clean source for them.

Did these hens lay all winter? Sometimes young birds lay through the first winter and then slow up a bit in the spring.
They laid mostly all winter, just much slower. We have 6 hens, and usually get 5-6 eggs a day. In the winter it dropped to roughly 2 every other day. Then once it warmed up they went back to 5-6. Then after switching they've gone down to around 4 a day.

Also make sure the waterer isn't forming a vacuum inside - it should have a loose lid, or a small hole to allow air intake. While it's unlikely, there's been occasional cases of folks with waterers that were too tightly sealed, so without any air being able to get in, a vacuum eventually forms and water doesn't come out.

Has anyone else experienced less water intake from their birds after switching to a nipple set up?
At first yes, but once they were all accustomed to the nipples there was no difference in consumption. I know for sure as I am a measurer. I noted the amount they drank with the gravity waterer and also after I switched to nipples.

I still 'measure'. When there is snow on the ground or significant rain, the water consumption from the water decreases significantly.
Yes, they love to drink from puddles or snow banks but they will always do that, it's not about a lack elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom