Switching from vertical to horizontal nipples

Egfhandmade

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
I switched to a 1L nipple waterer when my chickens were really young. They took to it really well. They were very curious and I didn’t really have to show them how to use it. They’ve been using the same waterer in the coop. I am home all day so I keep an eye on the water level and fill it if it needs filled. It has worked fine. But in a few days we’re going to be gone all day at a tractor pull (it’s supposed to be 91 degrees) and next week we’re going to be gone for a few days. I am planning on making them a waterer out of a 5 gallon bucket and setting it on a cinder block. The waterer they’ve been using has a vertical nipple so I’m worried there will be a transition to the horizontal. Has anyone else had experience with this? It’s possible I’m overthinking it and worrying about nothing.

Really not much difference in transitioning to it, just keep an eye on them to make sure they're actually drinking from it. You may need to tap the nipple in front of them a few times, or pick up a friendlier bird or two and use their beaks to toggle it so they get the idea.

You will need to remove all other sources of water to force them to use it. Also since you said you made it, make sure there's an air inlet somewhere in the bucket so it doesn't form a vacuum.

Really not much difference in transitioning to it, just keep an eye on them to make sure they're actually drinking from it. You may need to tap the nipple in front of them a few times, or pick up a friendlier bird or two and use their beaks to toggle it so they get the idea.

You will need to remove all other sources of water to force them to use it. Also since you said you made it, make sure there's an air inlet somewhere in the bucket so it doesn't form a vacuum.

Thank you! That is so helpful!

Back
Top Bottom