Nipple training young Chicks

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
My chicks range from about 1.5 weeks to 3 weeks. I want to switch from a dish waterer to nipples. I ordered 2 small nipple waterers from rentacoop that have the vertical and horizontal nipple. From what I've read I should start them with the vertical nipple. My question is when will I know I can switch them to the horizontal? Or should I just start them on horizontal? I want to do it as early as possible so I can continue using horizontal nipples in the future.

Also- once they are moved outside to their coop and run, how many nipples should be available? I have 6 chicks and don't plan to add more anytime soon.

Last time I had chicks it took a few weeks for them to be strong enough to use the horizontal nipples. I showed them how to use them & they tried, but nothing would come out so I used vertical till they could get the HN working. I left both out for them so I could see when they were using the HN, then I removed the VN. I think it was probably 3 weeks old before they could work them.

I have 3 nipples in each of my 5 gallon waterers, they tend to like to drink at the same time so I'd put a few in if you have a big enough waterer. But with the VN I only had one, it was a small jug & they all did fine with the 1 when they were little.

& I'm a big proponent of multiple feed & water stations. I have 3 of each & 9 birds. Everyone gets a chance to eat & drink without conflict & there are multiple back ups if any fail.

I use a chick waterer for 3 weeks, then add a horizontal nipple waterer. I put it in and leave both waterers for about a week, usually some start using the nipples by then and the rest follow, after I take the chick one out. I made a small waterer for the brooder, I have 3 nipples in it now. I usually have 6 - 8 chicks using this. I would have at least 4 nipples for your outside waterer, you could put more.

Attachments

• brooder horizontal nipple waterer.jpg
    brooder horizontal nipple waterer.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 19

Back
Top Bottom