Chickens won't use ramp to nesting boxes

Both hens have laid eggs on the floor

Last night was there first night in there

I tink rosemarythyme makes a good point, they may not have even found the nestboxes yet.

Since there are only two hens, you could just pick them up and stick them in the nestboxes.

If you put them in headfirst, then they will turn around and come out, and hopefully they will decide that it's a place worth looking into. (And even if it doesn't work, it's probably pretty easy to try for just two hens.)

Should we consider lowering the nest boxes? The pop door is under the nest boxes but we could move the roosts to that side.

Possibly. Chickens can adjust but are the nests at a convenient location for you? Have to weigh the keeper's needs as well as the chicken's.

We put the 2 eggs they laid on the floor in the nesting boxes.

I'd replace with fakes, because real eggs are obviously more prone to breakage plus they're better off eaten. ;) Golf balls are a cheap way to do it if you don't want to buy actual faux eggs.

Possibly. Chickens can adjust but are the nests at a convenient location for you? Have to weigh the keeper's needs as well as the chicken's.

I'd replace with fakes, because real eggs are obviously more prone to breakage plus they're better off eaten. ;) Golf balls are a cheap way to do it if you don't want to buy actual faux eggs.
The nest boxes are at a convenient height for me but if they won't use them, then I'm not against moving them.
I will retrieve the eggs tomorrow. I am hoping that one night of the eggs being in the boxes will motivate them lol.

The nest boxes are at a convenient height for me but if they won't use them, then I'm not against moving them.
I will retrieve the eggs tomorrow. I am hoping that one night of the eggs being in the boxes will motivate them lol.

It might, as long as they can see them, which is why I asked if there's evidence of them exploring the boxes at all. My nests are at floor level and I still had birds that never put their heads in to look, so they had to be physically put inside to "see" the boxes.

My chickens' favored nesting box is the corner where it's most dark and cave-like...could these feel too exposed? Or are my chickens just especially shy, haha.

Also, having the nests higher than the roosts runs the risk they will decide to sleep in the nests. We used to have that issue before I moved the roosting bar higher.

How steep is too steep?
30-35° off the horizontal is good....10" wide with cleats at 4"OC.
Yours is way too steep and the cleats are too far apart.
Putting a concrete block under the low end can be an easy way to reduce the angle.

Get that bifold door out of there before someone breaks a toe.

Roosts should be higher than nests.
Here's some tips about heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

1612791361682.png

Back
Top Bottom