Chickenstock at Gower's in Ranson, WV.

You are missing that instate you can not sell at any swap UNLESS they are NPIP that goes for out of state birds too.
All ages. It is a new law that they are pushing to make sure everyone at all swaps in wv will have to be NPIP no matter what to sell.
Those in the program should know about it as I was contacted after the last swap and told about it.
They will be pushing that people selling eggs,chicks and started to breeders have to have the NPIP form with the shipments of what ever you are shipping or you get into trouble too. Plus you have to show you npip paper work on eggs or chicks ,breeders you buy now too. When asked for them.
There is a new guy working at the state that wants it to be as strict as they say on the site and your paper work you get.
Things are going to get tuff for wv breeders just like it is in Va.
There just may be other state testers at the gowers swap ( employed by the state)
So this is just a heads up get ready for a rocky road.....

Last edited:
I just got off the phone a few minutes ago with the WV state AG. What they said is they are trying to move toward everyone being NPIP certified but that they will not be turning non certified people away. I went over the rules we have posted in this forum and on Poultrybarn.net line by line and was told everything was correct. If anyone is interested in getting NPIP certified they can contact the WV state ag dept via their site http://www.wvagriculture.org/contact.html or call Phone: (304) 558-3200. Members in the eastern panhandle of WV can contact Jonathan the local state tester by phone at 304-254-4022. I have sent a pm trying to get this misinformation cleared up. If any one has any questions about this I encourage you to contact WV state ag dept yourselves.

You are missing that instate you can not sell at any swap UNLESS they are NPIP that goes for out of state birds too.
All ages. It is a new law that they are pushing to make sure everyone at all swaps in wv will have to be NPIP no matter what to sell.
Those in the program should know about it as I was contacted after the last swap and told about it.
They will be pushing that people selling eggs,chicks and started to breeders have to have the NPIP form with the shipments of what ever you are shipping or you get into trouble too. Plus you have to show you npip paper work on eggs or chicks ,breeders you buy now too. When asked for them.
There is a new guy working at the state that wants it to be as strict as they say on the site and your paper work you get.
Things are going to get tuff for wv breeders just like it is in Va.
There just may be other state testers at the gowers swap ( employed by the state)
So this is just a heads up get ready for a rocky road.....

Tonya,

Following is a quote... copied and pasted straight from the email I got from the WV State tester who was at the Martinsburg, WV. Chickenstock. She complemented us on how well run our Chickenstock was and the only thing she recommended was letting people know about the goats. That's why I just copied and pasted everything exactly from her email and posted it earlier on the thread. Just called the state and they told us everything on our website and here on BYC is totally correct. Nobody from the state has contacted me about any changes, and we are NPIP as well. We've done our best here to let people know the rules. There will be a tester onsite, as we stated earlier. Sure trying to keep people informed and not confused here. This is going to be a fun and FREE event for anyone who wants to come.

We can speculate all day as to what they one day will be doing. I'm only going by the info I've gathered from the state testers and states vet's office. As I said before I encourage anyone who has questions regarding this specific issue to contact the WV agricultural department as there is nothing else I can add on the issue.

As it stands right now the forecast for Saturday is mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Excelent weather for a swap. I have the list of what is expected to be at the Chickenstock at Gower's and will see everyone attending bright and early this Saturday morning :)

If I am able to get a hold of someone to test my birds this week I will be bringing ...
- 1 silver laced Wyandotte flock
- 2 golden laced Wyandotte flocks
- 1 cuckoo maran flock
- 1 black silkie rooster
- 3 red sex link hens
And possibly some other hens and a trio of mixed chickens. Getting rid of all these guys because I'm narrowing down my breeds.

*flocks = 1 rooster and 3 or more hens (all birds are adults and are laying regularly/ crowing)

If I am able to get a hold of someone to test my birds this week I will be bringing ...
- 1 silver laced Wyandotte flock
- 2 golden laced Wyandotte flocks
- 1 cuckoo maran flock
- 1 black silkie rooster
- 3 red sex link hens
And possibly some other hens and a trio of mixed chickens. Getting rid of all these guys because I'm narrowing down my breeds.
*flocks = 1 rooster and 3 or more hens (all birds are adults and are laying regularly/ crowing)

All very nice breeds you have there. I hope your able to get tested in time to be there. Let me know if it works out and I'll get your birds added to the list.

Back
Top Bottom