Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckyinma

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
Massachusetts
Chickie'sMoma :

i do have a 20x20 Firestone pond liner i bought about 2 years ago and it hasn't even been out of the box! i've been debating whether to sell it or just make a shallow pond and build up the sides to the depth i would like it to be at. every time i try to go more than a foot or two in the ground where i want to put it i hit huge rocks or heavily packed ground! depending on how deep you want to make the pond it could make a finished pond of 10'x10'x4' deep or 12'x12'x3' deep.

Do you have an adz or a pick-axe? We got one earlier this spring, and it made a tremendous difference in how quickly we were able to break up our rocky packed ground under the topsoil. just a thought.

shay20

Shay's Flock of Fun
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
in the wild, Mass
Chickie'sMoma :

Quote:Pssst I have a great big pool liner I was going to use to line my pond but I am rethinking my plan.....How big a pond do you plan to dig?

we could all come down to help you dig the pond!
just like a barn raising, instead we'll be digging a big hole in the ground! HenPen, you may want to be careful using a used pool liner for a pond, especially if you were planning on putting fish in it. the chemicals embedded in the liner can cause issues on fish and animals. i do have a 20x20 Firestone pond liner i bought about 2 years ago and it hasn't even been out of the box! i've been debating whether to sell it or just make a shallow pond and build up the sides to the depth i would like it to be at. i was going to put it in my yard but it would require someone to dig a huge hole and my back couldn't handle doing all that on my own, and the quote we got from someone was over $400! every time i try to go more than a foot or two in the ground where i want to put it i hit huge rocks or heavily packed ground! depending on how deep you want to make the pond it could make a finished pond of 10'x10'x4' deep or 12'x12'x3' deep. i've been doing water gardening since '96' with the smaller, prefab ponds so i have some experience with setting them up if you need any advise. i've just never set one up to handle duck or geese waste!

Just good size for the gese r u selling the pond liner

Chickie'sMoma

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Rochester, NH
Quote:we could all come down to help you dig the pond!
just like a barn raising, instead we'll be digging a big hole in the ground! HenPen, you may want to be careful using a used pool liner for a pond, especially if you were planning on putting fish in it. the chemicals embedded in the liner can cause issues on fish and animals. i do have a 20x20 Firestone pond liner i bought about 2 years ago and it hasn't even been out of the box! i've been debating whether to sell it or just make a shallow pond and build up the sides to the depth i would like it to be at. i was going to put it in my yard but it would require someone to dig a huge hole and my back couldn't handle doing all that on my own, and the quote we got from someone was over $400! every time i try to go more than a foot or two in the ground where i want to put it i hit huge rocks or heavily packed ground! depending on how deep you want to make the pond it could make a finished pond of 10'x10'x4' deep or 12'x12'x3' deep. i've been doing water gardening since '96' with the smaller, prefab ponds so i have some experience with setting them up if you need any advise. i've just never set one up to handle duck or geese waste!

Just good size for the gese r u selling the pond liner

i've been thinking about selling it, it is a little over-kill for what i wanted it for and i would rather find a smaller liner. i paid about $150 originally for it 2 years ago, since it hasn't seen daylight because it is still in the box i'd be willing to sell it for $60. this stuff should handle the heavy traffic of the ducks and geese, its the 45mil epdm stuff so it has a long life too! i think they have something like a 25yr warranty. it is heavy so unless you have some muscles on you it is recommended to have a few helpers to position it.

Chickie could use some de-spurring. good thing he doesn't mate any girls but he is such a sweet boy that i'm more worried about him getting me by accident while flying up to perch on my shoulder!
he's never had it done and i've been afraid i would traumatize him trying. the last time i de-spurred a roo it was by accident and his spurs were getting quite long anyways!

rhaj

Songster
9 Years
May 30, 2010
NE'ern Connecticut
Shay, any chance you (or anyone else??) can sex an 8 1/2 week old showgirl?? I believe that is how old my little one will be at the Sept swap.

keesmom

Free Ranging
Jul 28, 2008
MA
Quote:Showgirls and silkies are difficult. I have a blue chick that's 3 months now and I still can't tell. I had a buff silkie I couldn't sex until 7 months old.

rhaj

Songster
9 Years
May 30, 2010
NE'ern Connecticut
Yikes.

Can anyone tell me what color s/he is? Probably a stupid question, but I have no idea. She isn't as light as my lavendar splash silkie, but isn't as dark as my blue silkie.

Mom is a lavendar splash silkie and Dad is...??? whatever Shay has that would make baby showgirl?

using flash:

flash off:

ETA: S/he is a week old today.

Last edited:

keesmom

Free Ranging
Jul 28, 2008
MA
Quote:Well, blue can fall within a wide range, from light to very dark. Splash is the same, almost white all the way to light blue. It may or may not have lavender, but you won't be able to tell for sure if the chick also has blue. It may be the pic, but is the down around the eyes brownish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom