Chickenstock fiesta yardsale August 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Sounds like the boys need to get their crap together and pay more attention to the girls and less time being macho with each other
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
oh yea, here too. stupid flys, the dyotomastios(spelling) earth helped a bit.
I wish you could make it too.

is that what you used for the flies? just what dust it around?

These are black flies, the nasty bloodthirsty ones that hatch out of fast moving water, and leave huge welts when they bite. Should be a bumper crop of those this year.

Now, Diatomaceous Earth. FEDCO in ME carries the food grade. Four pounds for $11, 50 lbs for $40. Good for the birds to dust in, and they can even eat it.

Quote:

Black flies, mosquitos and ticks
barnie.gif

Quote:
is that what you used for the flies? just what dust it around?

These are black flies, the nasty bloodthirsty ones that hatch out of fast moving water, and leave huge welts when they bite. Should be a bumper crop of those this year.

Now, Diatomaceous Earth. FEDCO in ME carries the food grade. Four pounds for $11, 50 lbs for $40. Good for the birds to dust in, and they can even eat it.

They hatch out of fast moving water? Where the heck do they come from around here then? There is no fast moving water anywhere near us. Just a lot of half stagnant swamp. We do get an awful lot of them though.

"The best methods of control are directed toward reducing the number of black fly breeding areas. Removal of vegetation and other objects in streams will cut down the number of larvae. Temporary damming of water can reduce populations, as immature stages need swift, running water. Larvae will die in 10 to 24 hours in calm non-running water. "

Unfortunately I'm not sure how far they travel.

There are a ton at our place in Maine too, yet the only water I know of is the lake.

Shay ,
those 2 little chicks I forgot last swap, what did they end up looking like??
I just hatched out 5 or 6 more of them and these look like the ones I fogot.
are they barred, non barred pulets or cockrels?

Quote:
We get tons, too. There are a few streams within a 1/4-1/2 mile of us, so we're in trouble! I though mosquitos were horrible until we moved up here to NH 8 years ago. The first year or two, the blackflies are so unbearable they make you want to run screaming, but you kind of get used to them (well sorta... as far as you can get used to PURE EVIL!). Fortunately their breeding season is short and they disappear as quickly as they appear (unlike the summer long mosquitos). I need to buy fly masks for the horses before the nasties show up and drive them mad!

Quote:

Black flies, mosquitos and ticks
barnie.gif

Ugh, ticks! I hope they're not as bad as last year. I had to pull a tick out of both kids' scalps last year within a week of each other, and Ron & I each found one crawling on us. Our turkeys are pretty good at snapping them up, but the dogs sometimes find them in the field next door and carry them home.

Quote:
One is barred but looks bantam size and looks cockerel.
one starting getting a gold laceing was very cute, pullet pssttt i resold that one to someone who liked her i think, i had another who look just liek her and i could not tell them apart.

Last edited:
Anyone looking for a nice RIR rooster? I have a friend down in CT who has one that she raised from 3 days old (hatched around Memorial Day 2009). Rudy has been attacking their duck, Phoebe. She said he's not aggressive to people unless you mess with his hens, and he doesn't mind being picked up. She'd like him to go to a good breeding or pet home to avoid him ending up in the stewpot, since she's raised him from a baby. She's emailing me a pic, so I can post it or send it to anyone interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom