Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Oh wow two feet is a lot closer than I would have guessed from your description of him haha that’s amazing though! He doesn’t sound too bad then and should hopefully improve. For some dogs it’s like an entire football field away. Brew can see a person across a huge parking lot and get super duper excited just seeing them haha so two feet is great! It might help to start even further away though just to really reinforce it and everything. And make sure you’re using super high value treats like hot dogs, cheese, chicken, lunch meat, whatever. Something super yummy and amazing to associate with them haha
He is only afraid when they want to play and chase him around. He also doesn’t like small children/ toddlers(he is a herding dog).
I put him on a leash and a dog who wanted to play came up to us. He couldn’t run away, so I eventually had to let go of the leash. It’s difficult to make sure that woolen wouldn’t let their dog come up too close to him...

He is only afraid when they want to play and chase him around. He also doesn’t like small children/ toddlers(he is a herding dog).
I put him on a leash and a dog who wanted to play came up to us. He couldn’t run away, so I eventually had to let go of the leash. It’s difficult to make sure that woolen wouldn’t let their dog come up too close to him...
Yeah, that can be hard for a lot of dogs but honestly, not every dog is a big player and that’s okay. They don’t need to play with everyone. So I wouldn’t necessarily force it either if he doesn’t want to but of course I would at least try to get him not afraid haha

And yeah people let their dogs walk right up to everyone and everything haha

I love the Stewart’s freeze dried liver treats. They don’t fall apart and the dogs are addicted LOL they have a ton of different flavors too.
Ooh! I will take a look at those too.
I’m still unsure about this myself and was sooooo paranoid with Brewster and I wish I would have started puppy class with him sooner haha
I guess unfortunately there won't be many puppy classes available during the pandemic, and I wouldn't feel comfortable going to one even if there were. I have found some good dog trainers on Youtube though, and I feel like if we are careful and consistent in training with their methods we will have a solid foundation.

I guess unfortunately there won't be many puppy classes available during the pandemic, and I wouldn't feel comfortable going to one even if there were. I have found some good dog trainers on Youtube though, and I feel like if we are careful and consistent in training with their methods we will have a solid foundation.
Ah that stinks! Here, they’re open but you have to wear a mask and stay apart and everything and it’s real safe or at least I thought so. I just took him to his first one Thursday and it was great. But yeah as long as you do the work and stuff, it’ll be great! We’ve always trained them ourselves and they’re great but it’s nice to be able to learn to work around distractions right away instead of having to be sent to bootcamp as an adolescent like his fur cousin. 😉🤣

Finn doesn’t do classes and is doing fine.

ND is still being walked on a flexi lead and choke chain combination :hitMy mom says that it's ok to drop hints that I want to walk her more.
(I don't walk her with either, because "I'm not great with the flexible ones, they're kinda hard to use'' and ''I don't want to misuse the choke chain and accidentally hurt her) (she does FINE with a harness and regular leash)

Back
Top Bottom