Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

I don’t have anywhere Where I could do this

Is there anywhere that you can predict dogs will be? A park, or a popular trail, or outside a pet-friendly store, or something like that?

You might be able to train a good down-stay at home, good enough that you can read a book or do other things while she stays. Then take a good book and go sit in a place where dogs are likely to go by, with her on a downstay beside you. Her job is to stay, but you're right there to enforce it. This isn't an exercise on ignoring dogs, it is practice on staying in the presence of distractions ;) (of course it amounts to the same thing in the end, because a dog that calmly continues to obey commands cannot also be reacting strongly to anything.)

Since she does react to dogs, there must be somewhere she sees them, but I don't know what kind of place it is, and whether you would be able to just sit there with her on a stay for a while.

Is there anywhere that you can predict dogs will be? A park, or a popular trail, or outside a pet-friendly store, or something like that?

You might be able to train a good down-stay at home, good enough that you can read a book or do other things while she stays. Then take a good book and go sit in a place where dogs are likely to go by, with her on a downstay beside you. Her job is to stay, but you're right there to enforce it. This isn't an exercise on ignoring dogs, it is practice on staying in the presence of distractions ;) (of course it amounts to the same thing in the end, because a dog that calmly continues to obey commands cannot also be reacting strongly to anything.)

Since she does react to dogs, there must be somewhere she sees them, but I don't know what kind of place it is, and whether you would be able to just sit there with her on a stay for a while.
One of the issue is that I can’t go there on my own and I don’t have any one to go with. The other issue is she will bark until she gets hoarse, even when I have her sitting she is in high “alert” mode when she sees a dog. Also I can no longer work on her sit/lay down because I don’t want to force her do use her knees

I think it might be helpful if I try and write what exactly my problem with her is, I will try and do that in a bit.

Thank you for your help!

Have you gotten the opinion of anyone who deals with Golden Retrievers?
Or looked at other Goldens of the same age?
Yes, I have- his shoulders are a bit straight and his croup is WAY too steep with a low tail set, and he doesn't have any coat. His back legs are also over angulated for the breed, and he has long hocks. Otherwise, he looks like a golden retriever, but a poor quality one.
Because some of those things change as a dog grows, and he certainly is not mature yet.
I think that his coat will come in more, and his angles will probably change a little.
Here's him stacked:
Finn stack.jpg

(The one time that I've gotten him not to post lol)
This was like 2 months ago.

Yes, I have- his shoulders are a bit straight and his croup is WAY too steep with a low tail set, and he doesn't have any coat. His back legs are also over angulated for the breed, and he has long hocks. Otherwise, he looks like a golden retriever, but a poor quality one.

I think that his coat will come in more, and his angles will probably change a little.
Here's him stacked:
View attachment 2879639
(The one time that I've gotten him not to post lol)
This was like 2 months ago.
1635336667147.png

I'm not the best at drawing skeletons, but you can see that he isn't balanced the way that he should be.

Spot, I've been trying this new thing where I engage deacon in the trigger, and then toss treats at the ground. Look at dog, toss treats . Repeat. He's super food driven though, he'll eat food almost anywhere. I dont have much experience building food drive.

On tail docking- many are against it but the reason that it exists in working dogs is to prevent horrible injuries (especially in spaniels and terriers) so I don't see the issue but if I say that I'm fine with it then everyone attacks me

Back
Top Bottom