Chickentrain's Dog Q&A

Just curious, do you think adding a male dog to a household with two females that don't get along will make things better or worse?
Likely worse. If your having issues with your dogs getting along in the house, I'd strongly advise not to get another dog

Now, in a working or show dog situation (not a house pet), I'd add other dogs and just crate and rotate

usually people with big packs of dogs can't let all the dogs out together without management.

@chickentrains I really need your help! Thanks in advance!

I just adopted a young dog. (5 months). We have another dog that lives with us. (7 months)
They are both females. They don't get along at all! We tried everything we could think of. We even introduced them carefully and the right way. Even at the dog park they fight. Very nastily. Please help! I want to keep her!
View attachment 2988908
Congrats on the dog... But sorry they don't get along... I wasn't in THIS situation but a similar one with the cat. He hated Lexie. And now he let's her sniff him or touch noses.... Maybe time? Though I know that's not really an option..

Likely worse. If your having issues with your dogs getting along in the house, I'd strongly advise not to get another dog

Now, in a working or show dog situation (not a house pet), I'd add other dogs and just crate and rotate

usually people with big packs of dogs can't let all the dogs out together without management.
Thanks. I wasn't planning on doing that, I've just been wondering. My two females are now getting along 99% of the time with close supervision.

The females always have issues, they've got a tude. Of all the dogs I've had, ONLY one pair of two males have had an issue. My female had an issue with every other female dog she came across. Was fine with males, though.
Not denying that this is true with some breeds, but I have never had anything but females and always have two or three together. Never any fights and hardly even a warning "snark" either. It is just not an issue with shelties or rough collies. My shelties are high drive agility girls, too. I know one agility trainer with Aussies who has 6 females and one male and they never fight either. The rough collie breeders I know say their males won't even fight over a female in heat.

I once had a funny experience with overly polite collies when I was having lunch with my friend on her patio with all our girls (six female collies and shelties). A piece of turkey fell on the ground between all the girls and they just stood there looking at each other as if to say "Are you taking it? No, are you?" My sheltie (the smallest there) finally got fed up with the politeness and grabbed it after a few minutes.

That said, my agility friends with malinois, GSD, belgians, etc, NEVER have two females together. The b*tch fights with those breeds are legendary and bloody. It is a breed thing, though. There are plenty of breeders in my club with multiple females of Keeshonden, Italian Greyhounds, Portuguese waterdogs, etc not kept separated, while the terriers, huskies, Akitas, etc do have to be.

Not denying that this is true with some breeds, but I have never had anything but females and always have two or three together. Never any fights and hardly even a warning "snark" either. It is just not an issue with shelties or rough collies. My shelties are high drive agility girls, too. I know one agility trainer with Aussies who has 6 females and one male and they never fight either. The rough collie breeders I know say their males won't even fight over a female in heat.

I once had a funny experience with overly polite collies when I was having lunch with my friend on her patio with all our girls (six female collies and shelties). A piece of turkey fell on the ground between all the girls and they just stood there looking at each other as if to say "Are you taking it? No, are you?" My sheltie (the smallest there) finally got fed up with the politeness and grabbed it after a few minutes.

That said, my agility friends with malinois, GSD, belgians, etc, NEVER have two females together. The b*tch fights with those breeds are legendary and bloody. It is a breed thing, though. There are plenty of breeders in my club with multiple females of Keeshonden, Italian Greyhounds, Portuguese waterdogs, etc not kept separated, while the terriers, huskies, Akitas, etc do have to be.
Very interesting! I know of a male rough collie who is not only ginormous but is not dog friendly and barks ALL THE TIME. He needs more exercise and stimulation but I don't think his owners can handle him. :( He broke his chain once and came after me and my dog.

New muzzle who dis? EB92BBD3-CB1A-427C-A1D9-A7EAA39F75C1.jpeg 366A4CA5-39C0-49DA-A07D-DC1CE4744CE5.jpeg 951A79BB-87F4-4603-9C5B-DEB0AD01E61F.jpeg AC812B95-B699-4B7D-BD11-7121D3446E35.jpeg

She has taken to wearing a muzzle with grace and very little fear and resistance.

Very interesting! I know of a male rough collie who is not only ginormous but is not dog friendly and barks ALL THE TIME. He needs more exercise and stimulation but I don't think his owners can handle him. :( He broke his chain once and came after me and my dog.
That is not the temperament a collie should have. He was probably badly bred with poor genetics and bored.

Back
Top Bottom