Chickies got WET! What do I do!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fluffy Chick 15, May 18, 2010.

1. Fluffy Chick 15

Fluffy Chick 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Ok I just had my 2-month-old chicks (well I guess they're not really chicks anymore) Out side and before I realized it, it was pouring rain! They dont have a coop yet and I heard them cheeping so I went out and quickly gathered up the soggy chicks and brought them in. I dried them off as best I could and put a heat lamp on them. Right now they are all gathered near the light sleeping. I'm wondering if they could get sick and what signs I should look for. Thanks for the help (in advance) [​IMG]

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine stay out in the rain all the time.
    If they are fully feathered (as they should be at 2 months old) then it's not a big deal at all.

3. CallyB57

CallyB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Mine get wet all the time and look like bedraggled rags when they do so. When it rains pretty hard they run into the henhouses or under protected areas in the run. Perhaps you could construct an overhang of some kind for them to run under for protection from the elements...they'll run under it when the hawks fly over, also. It doesn't have to be beautiful...I call my hen house area 'SHANTY TOWN', and I put up a tall board fence to hide it from the road, but it doesn't have to be beautiful as long as it is sturdy and doesn't leak and is tight enough to keep out breezes and wild critters and has some roomy, private nesting boxes..have fun with your birds..they can be stress-relievers, being quite funny at times, and everyone needs critters to love.

4. fluffychicksmomma

fluffychicksmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Thanks guys! I figured as much but I just wanted to make sure! ;D

5. fluffychicksmomma

fluffychicksmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Quote:Oh I just realized I posted under my MOM's name! Oh well, this is Fluffy Chick 15 writing! [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Rain is good. Rain brings up worms. Rain makes puddles for drinking. Rain makes chickens wet, but chickens dry - feathers good insulation, fluff easily.

Rain makes big people run around silly, give us attention and sometimes extra treats. Rain good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by