Chicks 2, worm snakes 0

MontanaDolphin

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Columbia, Virginia
This is the second time one of my cockerels caught (and ate...yech!) a worm snake. Last time I didn't have my camera...this time I did! The poor snake went from chick to chick to chick for about 10 minutes until my smallest cockerel finally won and devoured the prize! Sorry for the blurry pictures...it was hard to snap the shot with them running so fast trying to keep away from everyone else!

That looks tasty!! My chicks get small garter snakes this time of year and play tag with it. so funny to watch them

I have found dozens of these worm snakes around my property. They only grow to about 11 inches long and eat worms...so I'm not worried about them hurting my chicks or eating any future eggs...so I kinda feel bad for the snakes that are being eaten! Now, if they decided to eat (without getting bitten of course) a copperhead...I'd be the head of the cheering squad!

By the way, what are tomato worms??

I have found dozens of these worm snakes around my property. They only grow to about 11 inches long and eat worms...so I'm not worried about them hurting my chicks or eating any future eggs...so I kinda feel bad for the snakes that are being eaten! Now, if they decided to eat (without getting bitten of course) a copperhead...I'd be the head of the cheering squad!

By the way, what are tomato worms??
Google "tomato horn worm". I was concerned that there'd be NOBODY rooting for the snakes!!! I LOVE all of my snakes, but then again, I live where there are no poisonous snakes. Have never seen what you describe as a worm snake either... but, if my chicks grow up to relish snakes, I'll just have to look the other way, free protein is free protein!

My chickens got one of those last weekend. Boy did they have fun with it. Played tug o war and everything. lol So fun to watch the birds. :)

Back
Top Bottom