1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks act like they are itching.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AmyD26, Apr 16, 2009.

1. AmyD26

AmyD26 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    I am a total newbie when it comes to chicks. I was sort of thrown into a situation where I have to care for them, and am trying my very best but I really do lack knowledge when it comes to these things.

So, I have noticed that my chicks (about a week old) have been plucking at themselves, and each other at times (not violently). Is this common, or should I be concerned?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    That depends. They do pick themselves with their beaks it almost looks like they are cleaning themselves. They all do that. Check for bugs. Look near the vent and under the wing area. [​IMG]

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    New feathers are ITCHY!!! [​IMG] They will pick at themselves for oh, let's see, the next 8 weeks or so, LOL! You might just take a quick look for creepy crawlies, but chances are they are just addressing their new feathers.

As the feathers come in, they will have a whitish coating on the shaft, which the birds will pick off as the feather develops. The feather will then unfurl and grow some more.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by